Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets

Article about: Hello, I had previously been known as der Flieger. I have changed my profile name because another member had had the name prior to my membership. I had not known, and when I had found out, I

Cool Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets

Hello, I had previously been known as der Flieger. I have changed my profile name because another member had had the name prior to my membership. I had not known, and when I had found out, I made the change out of respect and to be fair. (I had never been contacted by anyone about this, I had found out accidentally while using the search engine). In this thread I would like to show my fellow members my Russian WW2 period Flight helmets. And I would like for other members to feel free to add pics of their Russian WW2 period Flight helmets to this thread as well. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets   Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets  

Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets   Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets
    P
    Many

Cool

Here are some period photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets   Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets  

Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets  
    Attached Images Attached Images Russian WW2 Period Flight Helmets 

?

Nice flight caps.

Nice helmets, RKKA pilot. Do they have any factory tags on the inside - most don't.

My helmets are all post war period. I'd like to start collecting some war period helmets, but they're a bit hard to find.

Cheers,Willie.

Hello, thanks for the comments. There are no tags on the inside.

ЗaStalina, thanks for the link to those threads, nice helmets.

It was very interesting reading, particularly the debate about dog hair vs. lambswool. There may have been isolated cases of Karakul lambswool lining being used in the war period, but it would have been very unlikely.
    Generally speaking, dog hair was used to line Soviet flight helmets right up until 1978 when the ShL-78 series changed over to lambswool.

The helmets with very dark curly hair are very easilly mistaken for Karakul lamb as from a distance, Karakul almost looks identical to Black Russian Terrier hair and some examples of Moscow Water Dog. The best way to check is with a microscope, or a very powerful magnifying glass. Dog hair will look like any other hair under magnification, whereas what sets wool apart from all hair fibres is the crimp. Depending on the type of wool, the fibre is crimped at regular intervals along it's length, with a shingle-like appearance. When dog hair and wool are compared side by side under magnification, the difference is noticeable. They also have a different feel to touch.

I've had a few helmets that look like they have Karakul lining, but on closer inspection, they are dog hair.

Cheers, Willie.

Default More Russian WW2 Flight Helmets

Hello, here is another Russian WW2 flight helmet. This is a late 1930 period flight helmet. This type was used throughout WW2.Russian WW2 Period Flight HelmetsRussian WW2 Period Flight HelmetsRussian WW2 Period Flight HelmetsRussian WW2 Period Flight HelmetsRussian WW2 Period Flight Helmets

Default period photos

period photosRussian WW2 Period Flight HelmetsRussian WW2 Period Flight Helmets

Nice addition.

I like the photo of the Paratroopers with the DP28's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast