MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Helmet WWII?

Article about: Hello, since I know close to nothing about helmets, I was wondering if you guys can help me out with this one. The seller listed the item as "WW2 Soviet helmet", and I was wonderin

Question Soviet Helmet WWII?

Hello, since I know close to nothing about helmets, I was wondering if you guys can help me out with this one. The seller listed the item as "WW2 Soviet helmet", and I was wondering if it was an original wartime helmet, or just a very rusty and ages postwar helmet. Thanks!

Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?Soviet Helmet WWII?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Helmet WWII?
    P
    Many

A quote from MAP in one your other threads:

"PapaStalin,
    As a beginning collect we have no problem helping, it's what we like to do here.
    But the best way for you to learn this craft is to first do some self study. Compare it to originals (use the forum search function) and then post it with your thoughts as to why you think it is fake or real.
    You might be right or you might be totally wrong. You won't get beaten up for it. We enjoy when we see people trying.
    I gty you that by doing this you will learn much quicker and retain it much better."

So not ask with every Ebay listing if it is good or not. By following MAP's advice you can come quite far and gain knowledge quickly. We ALL had to do this to understand what we collect. Check this forum because there's tons of great information posted by some really experienced collectors, all who had to study a lot themselves to get to the point where they are now.
    And don't get me wrong, everybody wants to help. But it also demands time from the one asking. He/she needs to learn to build up own opinions. That is what collecting is about. Myself I read every single thread on this forum regarding fieldgear and orders and medals, many even more for comparison. That's a lot of threads and thus a lot of reading. But that is how you learn. Good luck studying and happy collecting! And once more, all want to help, but it also demands effort from yourself

Hello. I was wondering what reference books you would recommend for soviet helmets (as you are more experienced than I am, and I really want to learn from the best sources I can). Thanks!

There are many very useful threads here on this forum for example that will guide you through many questions. Myself I am also still learning regarding helmets and I am reading every single individual thread here to pick out the correct and most up to date information. There are several very experienced collectors on this forum that explained a lot on what to pay attention to in WW2 period helmets/postwar helmets. It takes time to go through every single thread but that is the best way to learn.....at least for me it is.

Marcel gives great advice. Many here learned the old way before internet & forums. It was difficult, I learned by studying old reference books, also learned from buying a few fakes. Going to whatever local gun/military shows was vital too so as to get "hands on" experience & talk to dealers & collectors.
    Your helmet looks to be a Russian model 36'...These were worn primarily until war broke out, at that time the new model SSH 39'-40'.

Quite sure there are reference books on Russian/Soviet helmets. Google "Soviet helmets" & there should be a book or two available
    D.

Ha! I got it for only $45 USD.

Quote by PapaStalin1943 View Post
    The question is: did you study and are you confident it is what you think/hope it is or was it a gamble to bid on this one? I mean, you ask for opinions, didn't get any apart from advice to also do some own research before asking further opinions. So I am just curious what came out of your research?

?

This is the usual price for Russia for digging out the SSH-39 in this condition, even taking into account the delivery from Moscow to London.

I went to many different websites that have these types of thing last for sale, and they have descriptions of all of these helmets. I went onto another website (forgot the name) and found out it was an SSh39 because of where the rivets were placed. To answer your question: yes, I am very confident in what I have bought, because the seller has great reviews, and this type of helmet has all the same details from the other examples I have seen.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Marcel gives great advice. Many here learned the old way before internet & forums. It was difficult, I learned by studying old reference books, also learned from buying a few fakes. Going to whatever local gun/military shows was vital too so as to get "hands on" experience & talk to dealers & collectors.
    Your helmet looks to be a Russian model 36'...These were worn primarily until war broke out, at that time the new model SSH 39'-40'.

Quite sure there are reference books on Russian/Soviet helmets. Google "Soviet helmets" & there should be a book or two available
    D.
    This is a M39 ( Ssh 39 ) helmet not M36 (Ssh 36 ) on other words ( you still need to learn a lot )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast