Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets

Article about: Hello, everyone, I just get 2 tank helmets from my friend. Are they original or fake? Leather tank helmet Canvas tank helmet Thanks for any advice and information.

Default Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets

Hello, everyone,

I just get 2 tank helmets from my friend. Are they original or fake?

Leather tank helmet
    Soviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmetsSoviet leather and canvas tank helmets

Canvas tank helmet

Thanks for any advice and information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets   Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  

Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets   Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  

Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets   Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets

I'm not a expert on these but both look good to me. I have a leather one that was captured in Cambodia in 1967 that looks similar to yours.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    I'm not a expert on these but both look good to me. I have a leather one that was captured in Cambodia in 1967 that looks similar to yours.

Burt
    Thanks, Burt.

Honestly, I don't know much about these early issued Soviet tank helmet (as people call them M1936 and M1941). But I'm working on it right now. I got some info and pictures from website and collection guide books. But still hard for me to identify these items.

As I know, after the war, a lot of countries were armed by Soviet Weapons. Including tanks and other armored vehicles. So they also got tank helmets from Soviet military warehouse. And later, they produced their own tank helmets modeled on Soviet style. They looks similar to Soviet ones, but also some obvious difference between them. And easy to identified.

Anyone else can give me some tips? Really appreciate that. Thanks a lot.

hi alulu ,im no expert on these but my guess is that the first example you show might be an early chinese tanker helmet judging by the wide brow bump guard the later versions had a mesh fabric in between the bump strips that run from the front of the crown backwards ,but having said that it might be soviet after all but a very early one maybe pre ww2 period ,the second lighter coloured example you show looks to be soviet tanker maybe ww2 period or very early post war are there any ink stamps present ,hope this helps ,regards james
    Regards James

I can tell you that this style snap is a bad sign... It is identical to the type used on the first wave of fake leather tank helmets from about 10 years ago. These fakes were of the wartime version of helmet prior to this model represented by the one you show.

I do not have high confidence in the canvas one you show either I am afraid. In the photos is sure looks like the thin, washed canvas that a rash of known fakes are made from. Better photos would confirm. I hope that I am incorrect.

Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets

Here is a link to a thread started on fake tank helmets a few years ago. The ebay auction is long gone, but Ade states he saved the photos from the auction. Possibly he still has them and can post. The photos in the thread are an absolute fake from a lot that was being sold at one of the OVMS Show of Shows in 2001 or 2002. Another thing that concerns me is that the grey fleece in my fake looks very similar to that in your canvas helmet.

Link Here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/headg...et-alert-6506/

Hi Mike, I hope these are the right pics? I am not 100% sure?

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets  Soviet leather and canvas tank helmets 
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The grey canvas one, at first glance only, does not look too bad. BUT upon looking closer, note how limp looking it is and how the canvas is badly stitched and rucked up around the pads.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, to be honest I don't remember either. I was thinking that past auction had a leather in the style of mine and the seller also had a cloth fake. This leather one you show does not have good images of the snaps to see if it is a brother to the original post. Thanks for posting though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast