Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!

Article about: by Dimas Mark, your helmet is'nt repainted, that is a very nice factory painted helmet, to be true, I never thought about the chinstrap fastening period. Hello Dimas , Chinstrap Green 16mm o

Default Soviet M40 Dated 1950!

Wanted to show an example of an E-bay purchase received yesterday from the Ukraine for $55.00 US dollars. Appears to be mint and in excellent conditon. Have the following questions:

1) Does the manufacturer/date stamp look correct? I noticed that it does not have the "r" after the date.

2) Noticed that the liner pads are made up of two different materials. Any info or opinions on this.

3) Chin strap has the split rivets. When was this discontinued and switched to sewn on type?

Figure the helmet is 60 years old, fairly early post war example and very reasonable price wise. The ink stamp concerned me and was wondering if this was just another way to make money by selling altered 1950s helmets to idiots like me.

Thanks all. Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M40 Dated 1950!   Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!   Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet M40 Dated 1950!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet M40 Dated 1950!

It looks good to me, but i think it has been repainted, but you will have to ask helmet experts, because im not one
    Best regards
    nuno

Dom
    ?

1) Does the manufacturer/date stamp look correct? I noticed that it does not have the "r" after the date.
    Marking "spider" from the Lysva factory . There are 3 dates 1948, 1949, 1950. The stamp is correct

2) Noticed that the liner pads are made up of two different materials. Any info or opinions on this.
    Sometimes helmets are reconditioned, nothing to worry about !

3) Chin strap has the split rivets. When was this discontinued and switched to sewn on type?
    Chin strap switched only for helmets manufactured by the CT factory from 1954 to 1960 .
    I've never seen a helmet 3KO with a chin strap switched. If someone has an example ?

Dom
    ?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

It is fine

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you!!
    Then an additional question on chin straps. Is there a definitive method to determine war time production chin straps from post war. I purchased a chin strap on the loose on E-bay with the intent to put it on my Model 1939 helemt, since it did not have one.

I purchased the strap based on color, and took a chance ($80.00 US). It had the look and split rivets. I suppose it might be cheaper to buy any 1950s helmet with a split rivet chin strap just to obtain the part.

Thanks.

Quote by Markratz1 View Post
    Thank you!!
    Then an additional question on chin straps. Is there a definitive method to determine war time production chin straps from post war. I purchased a chin strap on the loose on E-bay with the intent to put it on my Model 1939 helemt, since it did not have one.

I purchased the strap based on color, and took a chance ($80.00 US). It had the look and split rivets. I suppose it might be cheaper to buy any 1950s helmet with a split rivet chin strap just to obtain the part.

Thanks.
    Mark,

Your helmet is a good postwar example. The mismatched pads are no problem. This is often the case in early postwar helmets. The pads, the two with the "zig-zag" pattern are likely wartime produced.

As for chinstraps, the one you bought loose is likely postwar and if a fairly late one, it is probably be wider than wartime and with a painted end termination. I'd have to see it to offer anything else. It should still fit your Ssh-39, but may not completely look the part.

Heres two wartime chimstraps i have , one is on ersatz leather strap from 42 dated 40 pattern , the other is a more standard type on wartime webbing ,attatched to my 36 patt helmet. THe buckles are thinner , and possibly slightly squarer than post war types . The borders are thicker looking from above too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M40 Dated 1950!   Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

With these prices it is very tempting to purchase a good postware example instead of the many wartime SSH40 models that have been messed with. Only the expert eye can see the difference. Nice one!!

Heres an original 36 patt helmet chinstrap with fabric reinforced leather strap . The steel buckle is different to both of the above , and very thin . Its seems that before and after the war there was a standard . but during , especially the emergency period , variations are to be expected. The wartime webbing straps seems not only thinner , but also looser weave than postwar , similar to a german gas mask strap (hey thats an idea !)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast