Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Ssh60

Article about: Hi All - Looking into getting this Ssh60 (made in 1966) helmet - is the liner being white/beige leather (not brown or oil-cloth) and the chin-strap a combined canvas/leather original to this

?

Default Soviet Ssh60

Hi All -

Looking into getting this Ssh60 (made in 1966) helmet - is the liner being white/beige leather (not brown or oil-cloth) and the chin-strap a combined canvas/leather original to this helmet? I usually see them with brown liner and all leather chin-straps...or could be a rare type?

Cheers,
    Fabe

Soviet Ssh60Soviet Ssh60Soviet Ssh60Soviet Ssh60Soviet Ssh60Soviet Ssh60

PS:

here is (on the right) the usual Ssh60 type:
    Soviet Ssh60

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Ssh60
    P
    Many

?

well, I got the helmet today. I'll post better pics soon... (these were the seller's pics)

Well conditioned Fabe..congratulations on your find

More photos always is a plus here and is what drives this forum.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Fabe, I have one virtually identical to yours, and I have seen photos of others with the white liner, so I doubt there is anything unusual or 'wrong' about it. I think the only difference between mine and yours is that I have 'Made in Russia' stamped on the chinstrap, which if Clawson (RUSSIAN HELMETS) is to be believed was normal for helmets exported during the 1990s, after the end of the Communist period.

By the way, I got mine, about fifteen years ago, from someone in the USA, so it took a long round trip from Russia to here in Wales. They were fairly uncommon then, and seem to be still even now.

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Fabe, I have one virtually identical to yours, and I have seen photos of others with the white liner, so I doubt there is anything unusual or 'wrong' about it. I think the only difference between mine and yours is that I have 'Made in Russia' stamped on the chinstrap, which if Clawson (RUSSIAN HELMETS) is to be believed was normal for helmets exported during the 1990s, after the end of the Communist period.

By the way, I got mine, about fifteen years ago, from someone in the USA, so it took a long round trip from Russia to here in Wales. They were fairly uncommon then, and seem to be still even now.
    Interesting Greg, yours also has a chin-strap like this (canvas + leather combination)? I read it somewhere, that this could be a rare variant...

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Interesting Greg, yours also has a chin-strap like this (canvas + leather combination)? I read it somewhere, that this could be a rare variant...
    I don't know. All I can say is that I have just looked at some websites and at Clawson's book, and many photos show the chinstrap as yours and mine, but there are others where the fabric part is not there. I don't know whether 'with fabric' or 'without fabric' is the most common. It is an interesting point and I hope someone tells us. This is what collecting is all about.