Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet ushanka - what type?

Article about: Hi everyone, Anyone know details on this ushanka and a timeframe it was made? Has a Navy badge, Could have been added later though. Many thanks

Default Soviet ushanka - what type?

Hi everyone,
    Anyone know details on this ushanka and a timeframe it was made?
    Has a Navy badge, Could have been added later though.
    Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet ushanka - what type?
    P
    Many

?

I am not so good with uniform articles. I am sure other knowledgeable members can help on that.
    But the Colorado black fits marine uniform. And there is owner's surname handwritten on the inside: TARASOV.
    Size 58.

I'm not entirely sure what the Russian Navy is currently doing for headgear in terms of officers / other ranks (enlisted men) differences but I am going to say this is a late Soviet into post-Soviet other ranks (enlisted men) naval ushanka, so quite a long time frame, with a modern Russian Navy officers cap badge (this badge also forms the central cockade of the parade or visor cap badge). Both look authentic but I don't believe they belong together unless the current dress regs do not provide an officers pattern ushanka.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

My impression is that it comes from either a museum or theatre. Very often original items were used in theatres and actors also wrote their names inside the garments and caps/hats. Furthermore there's a longer number written inside which could very well be a museum archival number.
    I am not experienced enough of these ushankas to date them accurately enough but the badge is from the current Russian navy if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for the replies guys -I really appreciate your info ! I am schooled on the wartime caps, But post war and naval type caps are something i'm still learning. I found one other that looks to be exactly the same except the inner crown has the 4 line pattern where as mine has 3 stitch lines. Lots of stamping on this one!

Yes, you are quite right this is the same pattern and yours is authentic. Slight differences in the manufacture such as lines of stiching do not seem to be an issue in the post war Soviet / Russian items. Going from 3 to 4 may have been an improvement just as 4 to 3 might have been an economy measure. Equally it might have been as simple as the difference between one factory and another. I have seen examples of items of the same nature but from different factories being obviously different colours, it didn't seem to be even noticed by the users.

My only question was whether there still exist both other ranks (enlisted) and officers patterns in the modern Russian forces. The officers pattern was (is?) of far better quality using real fur and leather for the crown. In my own experience the Soviet troops used to say that the ORs hats were made with "fish fur" (because fish don't have fur ). If this is still the case then the badge and hat do not belong together. Very easy to swap over though which doesn't detract from either.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yes, you are quite right this is the same pattern and yours is authentic. Slight differences in the manufacture such as lines of stiching do not seem to be an issue in the post war Soviet / Russian items. Going from 3 to 4 may have been an improvement just as 4 to 3 might have been an economy measure. Equally it might have been as simple as the difference between one factory and another. I have seen examples of items of the same nature but from different factories being obviously different colours, it didn't seem to be even noticed by the users.

My only question was whether there still exist both other ranks (enlisted) and officers patterns in the modern Russian forces. The officers pattern was (is?) of far better quality using real fur and leather for the crown. In my own experience the Soviet troops used to say that the ORs hats were made with "fish fur" (because fish don't have fur ). If this is still the case then the badge and hat do not belong together. Very easy to swap over though which doesn't detract from either.

Regards

Mark
    That makes sense indeed regarding the stitch pattern,
    I also agree it is most likely an "other" ranks cap given it's appearance. Wish I could find more like it to compare but my google searches don't yield much results. Was hoping I could find a pic of an enlisted man wearing one or something - will have to keep looking. I Haven't got it yet but i'm looking forward to examining it in person and displaying it along side my other ushankas, Over all I only paid $35 usd for it.

By the way, Do you know what may be a more correct cockade for it?

Quote by Mosin1942 View Post
    By the way, Do you know what may be a more correct cockade for it?
    This one is recent enough to have the aluminium type badge. The basic red star with hammer & sickle is not incorrect but most commonly the red star in a wreath (often referred to as the parade cap badge) is what one would expect especially if there was any chance of exposure outside the darkest reaches of USSR territory.

Soviet ushanka - what type?Soviet ushanka - what type?

I am sure you know that both these are very readily available and not expensive.

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post

Regards

Mark
    Thank you Sir, Very appreciative for all your info and help you've provided !