Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SSh-39 re-issued by the Germans

Article about: In my collection I have a Soviet SSh-39 helmet which is re-issued by the Germans. The SSh-39 helmet has a 1st pattern Graylex liner and it is a LMZ-1940 production (stamp inside). The helmet

Default SSh-39 re-issued by the Germans

In my collection I have a Soviet SSh-39 helmet which is re-issued by the Germans. The SSh-39 helmet has a 1st pattern Graylex liner and it is a LMZ-1940 production (stamp inside). The helmet is in a very good condition.
    Original the helmet was green but it is repainted on the outside and inside (in part) in a dark blue colour. It should possible be re-issued by the German Luftschutz (air defense). In most cases these helmets have a Luftschutz decal on the front.
    My helmet does not have a Luftschutz decal. I think the helmet never had one. There a no scratches or damage on the front side of the helmet.
    To whom the Germans gave this captured and repainted Soviet helmets? Were they only re-issued by the German air defense?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSh-39 re-issued by the Germans
    P
    Many

Asjemenou, can you post some pictures of the helmet, inside and out?

Kevin

Maybe Russian navy?

Default SSh-39 helmet

You are right. A few pictures can say more than a thousand words can do.

I hope the ink stamp is clear enough (next to the red arrow). It was difficult to make a good picture of it. The stamp has the inscription; "ЛМЗ-40г"
    I am wondering what the experts can tell about this helmet.

Looks like a Luftschutz to me, and even if it's not, it's a beautiful early example of an Ssh-39 and one I would love to have in my own collection. Thanks for the pictures.

Kevin

Default SSh-39 helmet

Thanks for your compliment. Sometimes you have to be lucky. The helmet was found at a flea market in Germany.
    Herewith a better picture of the ink stamp inside the helmet.

Hello
    I bought an SSH39 helmet (with Classic inside) re-used by Luftschutz but painted in black without decal on the front , the black painting was removed easily and the original green painting appeared easily with perfect hue.
    Jean

Default Removing paint

Thanks for your comment. How did you remove the black paint? Can you post pictures of the SSh-39 helmet? I would like to see them.

I was in a mechanic specialized in painting. he gave me a special remover but I do not know the name. but it depends on the type of paint. yours seems more "solid" than mine. Before using remover I suggest you to be sure that this dark blue painting is a proof of a Luftschutz SSh39 model. Perhaps some other theories exist.I am sure that the opinion of DIMAs will be instructive.

Default Removing the top layer

Thanks for showing the pictures of your Ssh-39 helmet.
    Your story reminds me of a German gas mask canister which I found on a flea market years ago. The canister was also repainted in black. It should be reissued by the Dutch resistance or the "Luchtbeschermingsdienst" (air defense). The black paint was easy to remove with a piece of a plastic CD jewel case.
    To remove the blue-grey layer from the Ssh-39 helmet is quit different. The blue-grey top layer is very smooth. So, I think it has been applied with a paint sprayer.
    I do not know if it is still possible to remove the top layer without damaging the underlying green layer. Maybe it is better to keep the helmet in its grey colour. After all, it is a part of the story of the helmet.