Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SSh-40 Helmet date stamp

Article about: I just picked up this helmet for about the price of a post-War example but it looks to have a 41 date. Does it look like a wartime issue and does the date stamp look genuine? There are trace

Default SSh-40 Helmet date stamp

I just picked up this helmet for about the price of a post-War example but it looks to have a 41 date. Does it look like a wartime issue and does the date stamp look genuine? There are traces of a lighter gren paint underneath the present coat and a number stamped into the rim: 2 followed by 4 other digits which are difficult to read. The edges of the liner look very crisp to me?

thanks

Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSh-40 Helmet date stamp   SSh-40 Helmet date stamp  

SSh-40 Helmet date stamp   SSh-40 Helmet date stamp  

SSh-40 Helmet date stamp  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSh-40 Helmet date stamp
    P
    Many

Default Re: SSh-40 Helmet date stamp

Hi,
    I personally do not like the stamp.
    If it was a helmet that had a circular inner you should have 3 holes made by the old rivets.
    If you do that 6 rivets, it is a false marking and a helmet after the war.
    Regards.
    Philippe

Phillipe
    Thanks for your help - not quite sure what you mean about the rivets? Do you mean holes in the shell? There are only the 3 rivets?
    regards
    Ian

Hi,
    To simple, helmets with internal circular have 3 rivets on the outside and helmets with the 3 pads on the inside are 6 rivets on the outside.
    The version with the 3 pads appears in 1941.
    These helmets with 3 bearings and bearing a stamp of 1941 are rare and the stamp of your helmet does not meet the markings.
    If another member wants to give its opinion..
    Regards.
    Philippe

Hi Ian, please show the outside of the helmet to clear up any confusion here.

Cheers, Ade.

Sorry for the confusion Guys, the helmet definitely has 6 rivets!

regards
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images SSh-40 Helmet date stamp 

Quote by Philippe View Post
    Hi,
    To simple, helmets with internal circular have 3 rivets on the outside and helmets with the 3 pads on the inside are 6 rivets on the outside.
    The version with the 3 pads appears in 1941.
    These helmets with 3 bearings and bearing a stamp of 1941 are rare and the stamp of your helmet does not meet the markings.
    If another member wants to give its opinion..
    Regards.
    Philippe

To me, this helmet looks like the stamp has been hand painted over an older one. Hard to say what the original stamp was at this point or when the new painting was done. However, it could have been an original wartime LMZ stamp with a 41 date. There exists SSh-40 helmets in the proper 6-rivet configuration that have the Ssh-39 type LMZ 41 stamp in them. They are not common, but do exist. 41/42 seems to be when LMZ transitioned to the Ssh-40

Thanks for all the help - is it worth trying to remove the new stamp somehow??

Maybe I'll try collecting something easy like Roc's eggs!
    Ian

shlaber1
    ?

I don't know-Soviet things tend to be very difficult to verify by age stamps and pattern variations. If you ask me-I think it is very possible that this is an original stamp-but it is also very possible it is a reproduced stamp. If you paid a post-war helmet price-I don't think you can go wrong.

For me, small cushions are not of the periode of war.

Marc