Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SSh-40 Traffic Controller

Article about: Hello, I'd like to know if my SSh-40 Traffic Controller helmet is a genuine one. I know that there are on the markets such helmets that were painted post 1991. I'm mostly interested in WWII

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Default SSh-40 Traffic Controller

Hello, I'd like to know if my SSh-40 Traffic Controller helmet is a genuine one. I know that there are on the markets such helmets that were painted post 1991. I'm mostly interested in WWII SOviet helmets, but I couldn't resist to buy that one.

It looks to me that oil-based paint was applied on this helmet. Please tell me more about those "Soviet Police helmets".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSh-40 Traffic Controller   SSh-40 Traffic Controller  

SSh-40 Traffic Controller   SSh-40 Traffic Controller  

SSh-40 Traffic Controller  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: SSh-40 Traffic Controller

I think this one is good, no problems with the not great painting ( lazy soviet soldier keep his time for sleeping). This one is good IMO
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Thank you Dimas! I appreciate your opinion. If somebody else as anything more to add, I'd be interested to learn more about these "Traffic controller helmets". Were these used by Police officers or the equivalent of Military Police (MP)?

By the way, here is a fake one from Hungary that I was offered few years ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSh-40 Traffic Controller   SSh-40 Traffic Controller  

I don't know anything about the regulations concerning these helmets, but the first one does look genuine to me. The wear and age look beleivable.

Cheers, Ade.

Helmet looks genuine to me... that is a period MP/traffic helmet. However, I suspect this one is an early postwar period helmet. The yellow colored, metal tipped chinstrap on a Ssh-40 configuration is typical of postwar made LMZ helmets. Also the "spider" type logo is typical of postwar LMZ helmets. Certainly used 1948 and after, but I have some oral information that it may have appeared sometime in 1945, but I have yet to actually see one in person or in photos.

The date stamp in this helmet appears to be 194X someting. Most I have seen like this are 1948 dated helmets.

Still, a nice helmet for the collection.

?

I think Michael, the spider is a late of 1947 year logo, but newer seen them on the helmets, I'll show the logo which the LMZ use in pre 1947 year.
    Regards,
    Dimas

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I think Michael, the spider is a late of 1947 year logo, but newer seen them on the helmets, I'll show the logo which the LMZ use in pre 1947 year.
    Dimas,

Thanks... you know how I like helmets!

The person who "told" me of a 45 dated helmet with this logo is not a reputible dealer. Still, I have gotten some good helmets from this person and they seem fairly knowledgible. As I said, I have never seen one myself in photos or in hand but am slightly open to the idea.

1948 is the earliest year I have ever seen (other than the 48s that by magic become 43 helmets). Is there a logo that LMZ used between 1942 and 1947/48? I am familiar with both types of LMZ letters shown in Ssh-39 helmets from this factory made from 1940 to 1942. I have only seen Ssh-40 helmets with just the "L" after 42 until the "spider" shows up in the postwar helmets.

?

Yes the rectangular stamp with "Л" L-letter is from 1942 to 1947 year. But 1947 year is very rare, due of total repair in the Lysva factory and only on I've seen this was with the same rectangular stamp as in the war time items. pre 1942 year helmets as known has a bigger stamp with full abbreviature: LMZ -ЛМЗ, this stamp is known from 1939 til 1941 year.
    Regards,
    Dimas

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Yes the rectangular stamp with "Л" L-letter is from 1942 to 1947 year. But 1947 year is very rare, due of total repair in the Lysva factory and only on I've seen this was with the same rectangular stamp as in the war time items. pre 1942 year helmets as known has a bigger stamp with full abbreviature: LMZ -ЛМЗ, this stamp is known from 1939 til 1941 year.
    Dima,

I have only words to offer because I did not buy it due to very bad liner and chinstrap. However I have handled a single example of LMZ Ssh-39 with full abbreviation stamp LMZ with a 42 date. It was at an OVMS Show of Shows in 2001 or 2002 back when I was working for Thomas S. Some dealer had it at the show, but I did not realize at the time how rare this date must be. Due to it's poor condition, I left it alone.

An odd thing I do own and Ssh-40 (three pad liner) with the full LMZ abbreviation stamp and a 1941 date

Mike

?

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Dima,

I have only words to offer because I did not buy it due to very bad liner and chinstrap. However I have handled a single example of LMZ Ssh-39 with full abbreviation stamp LMZ with a 42 date. It was at an OVMS Show of Shows in 2001 or 2002 back when I was working for Thomas S. Some dealer had it at the show, but I did not realize at the time how rare this date must be. Due to it's poor condition, I left it alone.

An odd thing I do own and Ssh-40 (three pad liner) with the full LMZ abbreviation stamp and a 1941 date

Mike
    I have also one 40 with LMZ-41 and leather 3 pad liner, this one is battlefield found, but in perfect condition, just take a look:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ussr-...el-helmet.html
    As I can say, the color is also grass-green on them.
    Tomas Salazar has one interesting ssch-36 1940 or 41 dated, also a rare piece, if he will join us- I want to ask him to share this helmet!
    Regards,
    Dimas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast