Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

ssh39/ssh40 hybrid question

Article about: I can't figure out the deal with this helmet on ebay that looks like a hybrid. It has the high rivet placement and 3-pad liner, but the issue is that the liner pads are actually arranged cor

Default ssh39/ssh40 hybrid question

I can't figure out the deal with this helmet on ebay that looks like a hybrid. It has the high rivet placement and 3-pad liner, but the issue is that the liner pads are actually arranged correctly like a regular ssh40. For the hybrids I've seen and owned the pads leave an open spot at the forehead, because the hanger is placed on the normal rivet for an ssh39. In order for the pads to be in the traditional place for ssh40s, the rivets would have to be more forward.

Here's the one on ebay:
    ssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid question

And here's the way I'm used to seeing hybrids:

See the difference? Is this a real hybrid or is something else going on with it? No one would go to the trouble to fake a Czech helmet just to put three pads in it, if they were going to fake it they would put an ssh39 liner in it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Kevin Robinson
    Greenville, SC, USA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ssh39/ssh40 hybrid question
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Hi ,

you can have better images ?

Dom, these pictures aren't mine, the first two came from the ebay listing, the last two from a previous post on this site. All I wanted to show with the first ebay picture is the high rivet placement to prove it's not an ssh40. The second and third pictures are comparisons of the space between liner pads at the front of the helmet. The fourth picture is irrelevant.

Thanks for the response, probably a situation where I'd have to buy it (in other words overpay for it) in order to figure it out for certain.

Without a look under the pads on the ebay helmet, this is just a guess... It is possible that the helmet in question is a shell size 1. That might close the gap at the front of the helmet that exists on most of these hybrid helmets.

im not familiar with these hybrids so i find it an interesting topic ,the liner pads seem to be a mixture, two look postwar and one has the zigzag pattern ,can i ask if there is any good referance material to learn more on these anywhere? thanks james

James, Clawson's book has a couple of them, one on page 50 with ssh40 rivets and an ssh39 liner, and another like the one I'm referencing on page 63. Dr. Clawson mentions the "large space at the forehead" there too, along with a one-paragraph write-up about them. These helmets interest me too. One configured like this is not very valuable, but I think it's a cool testament to Russian ingenuity.

Mike, thanks for weighing in on this. I have a couple more photographs. The first is from the original listing showing that it's a size 3 (I think), and the second is a picture under the pads that the seller e-mailed me. The hanging bracket appears to match the picture of the one I posted earlier. Rusty, but there.

Anyways, I followed through on my promise and bought it, should be here in a few days. Just couldn't resist my curiosity on this one...

I meant to add, Dr. Clawson did an online addendum to his book that included a part about these helmets. Because of the way most of these leave a gap at the front, they were apparently considered unsuitable for actual combat, and therefore most were stamped with the word "Training" in Russian at the top of the inside. The one I have at home is stamped that way. The website for reference is:

Russian Helmets, by Clawson, uchebny

My collection was enriched with one such helmet. Previously, I didn't know about the existence of such version helmet.

ssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid questionssh39/ssh40 hybrid question

Dom
    ?

Previously I posted an example and the photos shown by Kevin above are mine !
    Unfortunately I can't find the thread anymore, so who knows why...

Nice catch Estonian

Hey Dom, that’s great! Appreciate you bringing this one back up, I neglected to solve the “mystery” I had originally introduced. The answer is that, because each of the hybrid liner pads are hung from a single rivet, a person can slide them around inside the shell. On this one, they were slid forward (apparently decades ago because they have since rusted in place), so that the liner configuration looks exactly the same as an Ssh40. The giveaway and the downside, as can be seen in the picture in the first post, is that sliding the pads forward also slides the chinstrap bales forward, so that the chinstrap is unnaturally too far towards the front of the wearer’s face instead of correctly under the chin. Kevin