Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SSH40 embossed numbers

Article about: Dear All, I'm new on this forum (found it while searching for info on a SSH40 helmet). I recently bought a Russian SSH40 helmet and the seller stated in his auction that he couldn't read the

?

Default SSH40 embossed numbers

Dear All,

I'm new on this forum (found it while searching for info on a SSH40 helmet).
    I recently bought a Russian SSH40 helmet and the seller stated in his auction that he couldn't read the numbers on the helmet... and that there were no other markings (I couldn't see any myself on his pictures).
    After receiving the helmet I inspected it closely (with a flashlight) and found the remains of the 'spider' stamp...
    So I guess this helmet was refurbished? I found a small star embossed on the front of the helmet.
    I found some numbers as well, but on other webpages there's always a combination of 5 digits, but on this helmet I can only find 4, the numbers 2 4 1(?) 2 (admitted, there's rust on the numbers, but I can't see any indication of a 5th number (see photo)). Where there helmets marked with only 4 numbers?
    I've added some photos, two photos first of the numbers, an unaltered photo (you can see the spider stamp on the left) and a darkened photo where you can see the numbers more clearly... and I've also added the photos of the auction.
    Could you please tell me what you think and give me some info?
    Thank you!

All the best,
    Miek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH40 embossed numbers   SSH40 embossed numbers  

SSH40 embossed numbers   SSH40 embossed numbers  

SSH40 embossed numbers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSH40 embossed numbers
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Many threads on the forum for this type of helmet .

?

Dear Dom,
    Thank you for the reply!
    Yes, I know tere are a lot of threads about the SSh40 here, perhaps a bit too much, you can't see the trees through the forest if you know what I mean? My main question was about the embossed numbers, were there helmets with 4 digits instead of 5, is there a code in these numbers (first number (2) is size rest is year (41 2?), I just don't understand the numbers in my helmet... is the outher colour original or refurbished (refurbished since the spider stamp is inside the shell, perhaps they fixed this helmet after the war?), there's a remnand of a star on the front of the helmet, but it has been scratced away...(you can see it n one of the pictures).
    Anyhow, the most important this to me is, is this a WW2 shell or a later version (post '48)...
    Thank you!

To my understanding, spider stamped ones are made post-war.

?

Unhappy

Darn, That would be bad news

If you don't mind me asking, did it cost a lot? In my opinion spider stamped ones shouldn't cost more than a few tens.

?

71 Euro shipping included... :/
    I know, it's not that much, but still...

I'd say it isn't that bad. I paid about 40-50 euros for mine. It's still a nice helmet and I'm sure you will stumble on a good wartime one in no time .

?

Yeah, my bad...
    The spider stamp is almost not visible, but it's there... I'm not sure the seller noticed it, but I surely didn't see it on the provided photos... still, the numbers on the shell are still a mystery to me...

It's the lot number. There are four marked ones, yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast