Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tanker Helmet Alert!

Article about: If it was Chris', it may be impossible... He sold one at a MAX show about 5-6 years ago. Mike

Default Re: Tanker Helmet Alert!

Quote by RichieC View Post
    Thanx for showing those Mike... It seems that I can smell the unmistakable scent of modern leather permeating from my monitor... Do you have any other examples of "FUFLO"? How about somebody showing some comprehensive images of their original specimens for comparison? Dim?
    Richie,

I "regret" I have no other Fuflo to offer I bought this piece well aware of what it is, generally, I try to keep the hobby dollars committed to Fuflo to a minimum.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tanker Helmet Alert!
    P
    Many

?

I have one just for Victory parade, I think Michael have this too.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I have one just for Victory parade, I think Michael have this too.
    How did you ever know that?? Yes I have one, probably for parade, but maybe not... I'll photo this weekend.

Dimas, while I have your attention I need something. I need a nicely removed label from a bottle of Tehumardi Beer. Gently soaked off or something. Think you can help? You can drink the beer, I just need the label to use in a display with some items that Toomas dug up on Saaremaa.

Thanks

?

Usually they are made for parade and inside of the 3 pads are not pressed felt ( like a valenki) but usually pieces of old cloth or pads are simulated without filling. They are the same in cut as a canvas, and more rare than pre war made, due of limited production, usually all of the marked on the back part of neck guard appron, which is closed to the button. Unfortunately some of them with removed stamps, due of the previous owner do not understand that it's only for Parade made, and tried to sell them as a pre-war examples. They was found about a 7 years ago in the Bulgarian filmstudio stocks, no more than 40 pieces, I think that is 40 pieces that is survived. No more than 1000 vere produced...
    Regards,
    Dimas

I will post photos of my leather helmet this weekend. But to offer some details, mine is not cut exactly like the one Dimas has. Also the pads on mine are well filled with horse hair. My helmet does not have the round cylinder pad infront of the ear flap. My helmet also has a Soviet star button (black) to secure the rear flap in the up position and not a snap. Further mine is not stamped in any way. It could be removed I suppose, and if so then they did a great job of it. Not sure what the vintage is, but it is a nice leather helmet

What Dimas says about tanker helmets being stuffed with layers of compressed felt is true, but not universal. The compressed felt stuffed helmets are the most common and are characterized by the more square look to the brow pad and the horns. There is another common variation of the cloth helmet that has more rounded looking horns and "fluffier" looking pads all around. These helmets are stuff with more loose material

Ok... for those who cannot wait... My leather tanker is identical in every regard to the one shown at the top of page 240 of the Webster/Nelson book. Including the hardware.

Yes there is a fair amount of poo in this book, but the tanker helmets are good IMHO. Still does not answer the prewar or parade issue regarding this style though.

?

Hi Michael, I can by it only in my next trip to island, due of I've never seen that beer for sale in the Tallinn. I will do that for you...
    Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    How did you ever know that?? Yes I have one, probably for parade, but maybe not... I'll photo this weekend.

Dimas, while I have your attention I need something. I need a nicely removed label from a bottle of Tehumardi Beer. Gently soaked off or something. Think you can help? You can drink the beer, I just need the label to use in a display with some items that Toomas dug up on Saaremaa.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Dimas

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Ok... for those who cannot wait... My leather tanker is identical in every regard to the one shown at the top of page 240 of the Webster/Nelson book. Including the hardware.

Yes there is a fair amount of poo in this book, but the tanker helmets are good IMHO. Still does not answer the prewar or parade issue regarding this style though.
    Here are more images of that same helmet, courtesy of Webster.

I hope they shed some light on the discussion at at hand...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tanker Helmet Alert!   Tanker Helmet Alert!  

Tanker Helmet Alert!   Tanker Helmet Alert!  

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Richie,

Double check... I do not have the book in front of me, but I think that is actually the other leather tanker in the book and not the one on the page I noted. Regardless, here is mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tanker Helmet Alert!   Tanker Helmet Alert!  

Tanker Helmet Alert!  

OK Mike,

I really did not check the book myself. I just asked Dave to send some images of his leather tankist helmet.

Send me via email or (preferably) post a quick image/scan of the page in the book that shows the helmet in question, and I will surely ask Dave to take some photos of it. That is, if he still has it, or it belongs to Chris Nelson. If the latter is the case, it may take some time...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast