Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Two Soviet WW2 Helmets

Article about: is the first pic of helmet genuine ssch 39 shell or eastern block clone ,repo liner and chinstrap are not hard to find for this model

Default Re: Two Soviet WW2 Helmets

is the first pic of helmet genuine ssch 39 shell or eastern block clone ,repo liner and chinstrap are not hard to find for this model

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two Soviet WW2 Helmets
    P
    Many

?

I have tried to do some research on Soviet helmets and i have partly come to a conclusion. No. 1 lid is of course a SSh-39. If it ever took part in WW2 is doubtful. Maybe it did and got repainted later on. Ade says the ink stamp is not original. The stamp is not very clear on this one, so i can't really judge this myself. Lack of experience. The ink stamp says it was made at the Leningrad Metallurgical Factory (LMZ), and i can read the digit "1". That's all. The liner looks pretty much ok to me, compared to the other helmets i have looked at, but most likely a replacement, because of the blank rivets. One of the links i have looked at Soviet helmet - post war IMO pretty much the same liner. The SSh-39 was produced between 1939 and 1968, so it can be a post war liner of course.

Lid No. 2 i have a little more faith in. Since the SSh-39 was produced for 29 years why should this one not have been made in 1941 as the ink stamp tells? Also at the Leningrad Metallurgical Factory (LMZ). First i thought it was stamped боб or БОБ (to the left of the ink stamp) Russian short for WW2. That would be rather strange having a factory stamp saying WW2. In the same link as above we can see the same type of ink stamp in the same place saying 697, so the stamp on No. 2 will most likely be 606. I have also found a variety of red stars on Soviet WW2 helmets, but not yet one with the same black outline. I also think this helmet might be a re-issue helmet because of the two different paints. I don't know if the Soviets did this? The first layer of paint looks consistent with other WW2 Soviet helmets.

If somebody has something to add to this, please do so.

Thanks

Lars

Dom
    ?

Hello Lars,

you have two examples at your disposal, one good and one bad, take time to observe carefully and you will understand.
    Do not make life pleasant for many counterfeiters.
    You can also search in the forum there are plenty of original helmets.

SSch39 helmet

LMZ ( ЛМЗ ) means Lysva Metallurgycal Factory and Ssh 39 was produced only from 1939 to 1941.

?

Thank you for the info Dom. It's funny that the No.2 lid, the good one is actually the cheapest of them.
    I for sure have no intentions about making life easy for counterfeiters

So my conclusion that the No.2 lid is a good example is the right conclusion? Furthermore. What is wrong with the liner in the No.1 lid? Post war?

The LMZ stamp means Leningradsky Metallichesky Zavod or in Russian Ленинградский Металлический Завод. Some call it Lysva, Lysma. Don't know why.

Regards

Lars

?

Dear Lars, your knowledge of the LMZ, alas, totally incompetent. It's not your fault, it is our common problem. Helmets collectors in Russia, having access to archival documents, has not yet been able to initiate the publication of details about the production of steel helmets in Russia and the USSR. They prefer to keep certain information confidential and share them only in their small community. In truth, I too am in that way. Listen to Dom - he is quite competent. LMZ - Lyvensky metallurgical plant. City Lysva is in the Perm region in the Urals. This factory was one of two Soviet plants that produced steel helmets in the 20th century. In Leningrad, made only ersatz samples during the siege, and M38 helmets for civil defense. And not at the Leningrad Metall Plant. It was a factory "Red Dawn" (Krasnaya Zarya).
    Last edited by mixer; 02-11-2012 at 01:19 AM.

i can see the paint is fake but are the liners themselves fake?also the chinstrap rivots should be split pin type is that right?but the shells are genuine soviet made ones is that right?dave

?

Of course they are USSR made. The light green is verified here as being fake. I does not really look like a 1941 lid. The one with the red star is fine. I sent the light green helmet back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2