Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

War relic restoration

Article about: Interesting way to restore an old helmet for the reenactors. Relic restoration

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Default War relic restoration

Interesting way to restore an old helmet for the reenactors.

Relic restoration

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: War relic restoration

Quote by Ost-Berlin View Post
    Interesting way to restore an old helmet for the reenactors.

Relic restoration

There was a beauty helmet with approx 80% of original white camo paint ( just a surface rust over paint) SSch-39 steelhemet with battle damage...
    Now it's became to be a modern repro item....
    All what can be valued are lost from that helmet.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I have to agree with Dimas, while the job done was a good one , for me the helmet is ruined , just my personal feelings , i would have preferred the helmet as an orignal historic battlefield piece . cheers Raymond

?

looks like a lot of work to make a repro?

Yeah i agree guy's

I think a partial resto is okay as in maybe a very thin coat of paint and scrubbed back to reveal pitting and battle damage again but full resto?
    No i think it's a waste of a relic.Want a repro? Buy one

Tom

Thise helmet can be braught back to his original condition, with out further damage.
    I do not see where the problem is!
    It is indeed a lot of work; if you compare value and effort.
    All kind of ancient items are being restored, I think all the "contra's" (specificly in the militaria world)are in for a hard time!!
    If an item is well documented, like thise one, there is no problem....to me.
    You 've got to see how it was , what has been done , wich procedee was used and wich product was used. Up to the next owner to decide to keep it that way or to undoo it.
    It is only messed up if people with no experience try to restore (or undoo restorations) to theyre items, them self.
    A very commoun thing in the militaria world. Sommething you don't see with other collection items.
    I have read , in fora,about people who comment on theyre German rusted helmet , they have treated with the oxalic acid procedee ..."in the kitchen sink, with bear hands"....?
    Oxalic acid penetrates your skin and lungs to attak your liver!!!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well....I wouldn't have done it but that's personal preference !

As for Oxalic acid.......you can acheive very similar results with far less danger to your health using Hammerite Rust Remover (dip). You have to be careful with it as it eats all corroded bits of metal......and sometimes you can't see all the corrosion. It works REALLY well but i have ruined one item by leaving it in the dip too long.

Steve T

"Restoration" ...i dislike this word in the collecting world, History totally lost !!

hi i would have kept the helmet as it was after all it had a history to it,
    I think battlefield helmets should tell there own story thats how people learn from them. I have one russian helmet in my collection that was dug near Leningrad, four years ago and it is a real relic, but i have never
    changed it in any way. in factit still hasnt been cleaned.
    Dave.

appie
    ?

Steve T

Top tip - If you get a detection and spend the next 30 minutes digging a 2 foot deep hole and you STILL haven't found the item......move to the side a little bit !! (Many bad memories and sore arms through excessive digging !)

Top-top-tip; If you get a detection and spend the next hour digging a 3 foot deep hole and you STILL haven't found the item.....move to the side, and take off your steel-tipped working shoes. (happend to me a few times!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast