Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Army/Heer buckles, a brief history

Article about: by kilomikesierra1960 Sure thing, here's a nice one of the heavier style on an amazingly supple belt I just picked up ;-) Really wonderful patina, and the interesting thing is a Polish name

Default Army/Heer buckles, a brief history

Just for interest gents I am going to do a brief history on the types of buckle we have to give all a basic understanding of the varying types of buckles that were issued starting from the Weimar/Reichsheer. This ran from 1919-1933. The order came out on the 05 May 1919 which specified the type of buckle to be used, this was formally incorporated into the official order on 22 Dec 1920. The Wehrmacht buckle or Koppelschloss was introduced by an order on the 24 January 1936. The design of the Weimar buckle was kept but the eagle was replaced by the Wehrmacht eagle with the eagle (adler) looking to the left. Each man was issued with one combat belt and buckle with the opportunity to purchase private walking out buckles and belts. In March 1936 new regulations regarding the eagles head came into play and the eagles head was changed to looking to the right. This is why the left facing eagles are desirable in the fact that they were only made for a short period of time, roughly around 3 months. Combat buckle were initially made of aluminium and attached to a leather support tab, another change came in 1936 and the grey buckles were over sprayed with field grey or a varied shade of it depending on the maker. Due to aluminium being a soft metal they wore quite quickly during combat, especially around the catch area. This was changed when in 1939/40 the aluminium buckle was replaced with the stronger steel buckle. This also saved on aluminium which even at that point in the war was becoming hard to come by and was needed for more important pieces of equipment, probably for aircraft manufacture. You do still see aluminium buckles with 1940 dated tabs but these were probably surplus late 1939. In 1942 the order came out to stop using the leather support tab. This was to save leather which again was becoming short and it was also said that it gave no support to the ammo pouch which was its main purpose in the first place. You do see 1943 dated tabs but mainly on police buckles. This information is a brief insight into how the Heer buckle came about. the facts have been gathered from various sources. If anyone has anything to add in ref to the history of the Heer buckle then please do so. if we are lucky and if he has some spare time Wim Saris might get the chance to look in the official records and maybe expand or go more in depth into what I have written (may even correct a few things)
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 12-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army/Heer buckles, a brief history
    P
    Many

Default Re: Army/Heer buckles, a brief history

Late war Prussian buckle, probably dating from late 1917/18
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Weimar period buckle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Army/Heer buckles, a brief history   Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  

Army/Heer buckles, a brief history   Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  

Last edited by Ben Evans; 02-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Ben

Left facing nickel Heer, produced from Jan-Mar 1936
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Private purchase walking out buckle by M4_44 Paul Cramer
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Aluminium buckle by M4_38 Richard Sieper & Sohne, Ludensheid dated 1936, this type issued from 1936-1939, note double marked with the early Seiper diamond markings
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Steel buckle by M4_110 Steel Josef Feix Sohne, steel buckle with tabs being issued 1940-1942
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Web tabbed buckle produced for tropical use started to show up in 1940
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Ben

Possible late war buckles with the lack of tabs and one dated 1943 so tabs should have been removed on Heer buckles by now. This blue paint has been attributed to Kriegsmarine but more than likely just a late war colour. this blue tends to find itself on a lot of late war period buckles, again its been suggested that at this time paint was running low so this is what they used but nothing has been written down to this fact, here are a couple of examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history  Army/Heer buckles, a brief history 
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 12-03-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    Ben

?

Ben, As usual your buckles are "Amazing"... I am leaning towards the RaD as a concentration (Pardon the pun) as a collector..Patches, Badges etc; etc; However the buckles still hold an interest to me.. Any ideas for a site or source to look for..Here in the States there are many trusted sites bit the fakes seem to be rampant or the real ones seem to be way over priced..I have read a lot of your material and it has me thinking..
    Should I have a limit on what I offer on a buckle or go Top Dollar and pay "whatever" the seller asks ?? I don't mind paying a lot for anything.. I just don't want to be over paying for an item that just is not worth time and effort... the skinny is this... At all costs or wait until better deals come around ?? Because the better deal may never happen..Ever...Especially on certain items.. I have also heard others say pass on that price , not at that price also when the buckle really looked fine to me in the photos..Again, Thanks for everything... Keep up to fine moderation and I look forward to many, many great and informative post from you...M

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast