Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

belt & buckle from US navy vet family

Article about: Here are some pics of the belt and buckle I am purchasing from the Grand daughter of a US Navy WWII vet. I am not sure if it is damaged and will verify when I get it. The front insert looks

Default Re: belt & buckle from US navy vet family

To me it looks like someone has sprayed or painted the roundel which has removed detail due to the heavy deposit of paint, personally i would attempt to gently remove this paint from one of the letters and see whats underneath, i would think that the paint has been applied post war, probably by the vet, but if your not confident of dealing with this type of restoration then its best left alone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

update -

i took the roundel off and the back is not painted but is brass with good detail. I tried to remove paint off front without luck - acetone,denatured alcohol, mineral spirit and then heat which almost caused a big problem.

I will get some laquer/thinner next and try again.

The box is not brass; probably zinc and has evidence of being coated gold colored.

We will see what this looks like once I clean it up.

Whatever happens dont try heat again, you may need to use paint stripper,if so then use one that can be neutralised by water so as to stop the stripping process immediately and again use sparingly and do a very small area at a time, use a small model brush to apply the product, the idea is to not disturb any lacquer under the paint, lacquer thinner may remove all paint including the original

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12