Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Germany Army Belt and Buckle

Article about: Here is a belt and buckle I received from an elderly cousin. Any suggestions on how to clean / preserve this? It was in her attic in Lippe for God only knows how long. She is getting up in y

?

Default Germany Army Belt and Buckle

Here is a belt and buckle I received from an elderly cousin. Any suggestions on how to clean / preserve this? It was in her attic in Lippe for God only knows how long. She is getting up in years and she is starting to clean out the attics. She was born in this house and she is 85 years old. Sorry for the quality of the pics but I am still in Germany and this is the best I could get. Thanks in advance. Also see my other posts of some of the other things I was fortunate to receive.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Germany Army Belt and Buckle   Germany Army Belt and Buckle  

Germany Army Belt and Buckle   Germany Army Belt and Buckle  

Germany Army Belt and Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Germany Army Belt and Buckle
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Germany Army Belt and Buckle

Firstly do not clean it, all the original patina of the buckle is there plus the paint, it looks great as is, cleaning will devalue the whole thing plus take some of the detail away, the leather belt can be wiped over to take the dirt away and then a thin coat of vaseline added, rub well into the grain with a cloth until its all absorbed, then display in a dust free cabinet

I concur with Dave, if you can, leave the set alone, display it and enjoy it BTW the buckle looks like a late war buckle by Overhoff & Cie from the picture provided
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 05-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Ben

kc1
    ?

Sit down and talk with her, all the little details about life in the TR(was she BDM, any bombing etc) will be gone when she passes then its just guess work after that. Has she got any friends that age who might have stuff put away thinking no ones interested?

Great looking belt and buckle. I too would leave it well alone. Looks great the way it is!
    Cheers!
    Rob

?

Thanks for the advise. I cleaned the leather as suggested and found some writting on it. It says something like "Isidar Schiebal 33437". Not sure about the first letter. It is in cursive and a little hard to read but very clear.

?

Try to show a picture, glad you found something, its always nice to see

?

Germany Army Belt and BuckleHere is the pic

?

Im glad that theres something with identifying marks on the belt, it makes it a bit more personal, and of course if your lucky ,a bit of research may prove fruitful in finding the original user and details of his service, I reckon that a few of our German speaking friends may be able to help decipher the name