Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?

Article about: I'm selling this buckle and belt, and of course ebay had to remove the add cause of the eagle. So had to put it on another site, and after a few bids it has stuck on 100 euros. Does that see

Default Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?

I'm selling this buckle and belt, and of course ebay had to remove the add cause of the eagle.
    So had to put it on another site, and after a few bids it has stuck on 100 euros. Does that seem a good price to sell to you guys?
    The buckle is a steel enlisted mans buckle, D&C 1941, and the belt is marked 100, and with the code jnb 1942.
    Not sure what to do; 100 euros seems a bit cheap for a set like this, belonging together. And there is a nice story that comes with it as well, how the farmer got this set just after the war.
    Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?  Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?  Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?  Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?
    P
    Many

Default re: Heer belt & buckle: What would be the right price?

Maybe it is stuck at 100 euros because there is no leather tongue on the buckle ( & there should be ) and therefore people may not think that it has always been together?
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks Dan. It's the way I got it, so don't know why is has no tongue. I do know for sure that this buckle and belt have never, ever been in a collection, I bought it first hand.
    The farmer of who I bought it from had no clue German gear was being collected, or have any value at all. There were about 20 WH soldiers who slept on the farm, and after the war, when everybody turned back to their houses they found German gear scattered everywhere. It got thrown away, or used on the farm untill it fell apart.
    For one reason the farmer has kept this buckle. I know why, because he told me eight years ago when he gave it to me.
    I wonder if the buckle ever had a tab or tongue, and if it had who took it of, and why and when. I have seen other leather items that have been cut up after the war, when somebody needed a leather patch, or a strap. Even seen .303 canvas belts been used to tie wood together. Maybe the soldier toke the tab of at one point, who knows. He was loosing weight fast according to the extra holes he was forced to make in his belt!

Quite possible - 70 years on who can tell? a missing tongue would not be noticed ( or stop the belt from functioning ) and at 100cm he was a big boy to start with .... nice to have a back story but don't know if it will help the sale? If not, put in the classifieds here.
    Good luck, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks again Dan, but I haven't told the story about how the farmer got the buckle yet, as I'm selling the item and not a story. Don't even think it will add to the value, its just a nice story about it, but at the end of the day it is what it is with or without the story. It would be wrong to split them up and sell them apart I think, even if that would make an extra 20 euros. I payed the farmer 75 euros eight years ago, and he was totally suprised when I gave him money for it. He didn't think it was wurth any money at all.
    We made a deal that I could have a look through the barns to see if I could find any other German field gear. Everything had gone, or was thrown out through the years he told me, but after a good look I did find some other stuff there. For the 75 euros I could take what ever I could find, and I came up with a M24 grenade case, some dirty WH blankets and a Zeltbahn in the stables, about 20 other leather straps (some cut up), and a wire cutter with paper handles.
    The guy died some years ago now, and his son now owns the farm. He was born long after the war, and couldn't tell me anything about what happend on the farm during the war.

Side note: Tongues were only used till 1942. As to price of 100 euro, it is close to the market value.

Ah ok meyle, so maybe this buckle just never had a tab after all? Like I said, this belt and buckle have never been in any collection. If it ever had a tab I can't see who would have removed it, or why they would have. If it ever even had a tab, it must have been the soldier himself that took it off. I know for fact the soldier had lost alot of weight at the end of the war, having to make new holes in his belt a few times. He wasn't a POW, but was making his way back to Germany after the war, on foot. He had walked for days, eating what he could find. When he passed by the farm, he asked for something to eat, but had no money or other goods to pay for the food. He than offered this belt in exchange, and although the farmer didn't really want or need the belt, he felt sorry for the lad and accepted the deal. He kept the belt and buckle ever since, untill I got talking to the farmer about the war. Like I said he told me there used to be loads of stuff around, but nobody had any interest in the stuff after the war. Shortly after the war, in the first years of the liberation people would go from farm to farm asking for scrap metal, and that is how tons of stuff ended up; as scrap metal. I was told some smart guy blew himself up while cutting up a canon with a blow torch. Still had a live round in it.
    Thats the story behind this buckle, and the reason why the farmer has kept it so long. It doesn't add to the value, at the end of the day it is what it is, but the story is nice and comes with it for free!

The set is nice and original, maker being Dransfeld & Co, Menden, not in the best of condition but original. You are correct in people buy the piece and not the story. Best bet is to look around a few dealer sites and see what a average steel buckle and belt are selling for. But take some off as dealers sites ask for premium price. For me I would say between Euros 110-130 depending on condition, hard to define from the pics
    Ben

Thanks Ben for your input. I just sent the bidder a mail I agree with his bid of 100 euros. I think its a fair price. Waiting for his response now, so fingers crossed its not a ghost bidder.