Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identify 2 buckles

Article about: I am posting two sets of pictures of similar buckles. The fronts are identical. The backs are very different. One looks intact and one has be messed with. Any help in identifing and valuing

?

Default Identify 3 buckles

I am posting two sets of pictures of similar buckles. The fronts are identical. The backs are very different. One looks intact and one has be messed with. Any help in identifing and valuing the buckles will be appreciated. I am helping the widow of police officer sell a small collection.

Thanks

Tom

I have added some pictures of the first buckles upon request. I added a 3rd buckle that I think is a reproduction. Since I was adding pictures I thought what the heck.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify 2 buckles   Identify 2 buckles  

Identify 2 buckles   Identify 2 buckles  

Identify 2 buckles  
    Last edited by twines; 12-06-2011 at 10:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identify 2 buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identify 2 buckles

Tom, both look to have been polished, one is by Ernst Schneider, Ludensheid the other looks to have had some sort of repair on it, can you post me a square picture of the front of the buckles please so I can see the eagles?
    Ben

As Ben has mentioned: both buckles have been changed. One more than the other. The polishing unfortunately decreases the value. I would say the one with the major changes to the back might go for $5-10US? The other example (Schneider) might be worth more as it's still "intact" but it has been chromed or polished up. Perhaps $30 for that one.
    These values are not set in stone....just numbers that I would consider appropriate. Hope that helps.
    CHeers!
    Rob

Tom , the SS is a fake, the Ernst Schneider buckle is good, the other one I have no idea, the so called eagle looks like a duck, so is it an original buckle that has been mended? So the catch was broken and the eagles head disfigured so someone recarved the head and put a new form of catch on? The have never seen that type of eagle before on a original or fake. So Tom at the end of all this you have a fake SS, a polished original buckle and a maybe messed with original buckle or total fake! Hope this helps
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 12-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Ben

I was hoping the SS was good, but one look at the reverse.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Tom, the original buckle you have is a Heer buckle or Army buckle made of steel, steel buckles were around from 1940-1945, before that aluminium was used. In 1939 it was ordered that buckle would be made from steel as the aluminium combat buckle used to wear quite quickly, imagine the wear and stress it came under. So in 1940 they started to use steel. There are some 1940 dated aluminium buckles around but I would imagine this was the makers using up the last of their stock and sticking on a 1940 leather support tab. The support tab was there to support the weight of the ammunition pouch worn on the right hand side, I believe this was an early practice as a soldier needed ammo and soon they wore two pouches. Due to shortages in leather the support tab was ordered to be stopped in late 1942, thats why you do not see many buckles with 43 dated tabs on them, I have seen 43 dated Police buckles with 43 tabs on, one KM buckle and one Heer buckle, but the later two are like hens teeth. Your buckle Tom was made by a maker called Ernst Schneider from the town of Ludenscheid in the Ruhr valley. You found alot of buckle makers around this area and steel factories due to the coal and it was also a previous industrial area (until late in the war and it was bombed out of existance) Your buckle would probably have had a support tab on it originally (unless made after 42) and would have been painted green in colour, I have enclosed a picture for you to see what it may have looked like, this is also a Schneider buckle. Tom, also just for interest have a look at this thread, it may give you a better insight into buckles

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-...ls-fakes-5102/

Lastly if have any other questions please ask, its not a problem

Grusse

Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify 2 buckles   Identify 2 buckles  

Attached Images Attached Images Identify 2 buckles  Identify 2 buckles 
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 12-07-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Ben