Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just uncovered H. Arld 1942 Heer Combat Belt & Buckle, lots of personality! Belt wear forensics?

Article about: Dang, you guys are making me blush... ;-) I agree the wear is just right, and really unmessed with and that is important to me. Many times I see a pic of a buckle that looks like it has been

Default Just uncovered H. Arld 1942 Heer Combat Belt & Buckle, lots of personality! Belt wear forensics?

Picked this up from a nice gent on the East Coast who had just recently found a vet's stash of things (I take it he'd just passed away, another hero gone...), history was given to me as;

Fresh out of USN veterans box that he sent back in 1944 while in the ETO. He was stationed on the USS LCT (landing craft tanks) 531 and was sunk during "Operation Tiger" in April 1944 by German E boats while practising for the Normandy invasion. After surviving the sinking he was assigned to USS LCT 518 and was active on Utah Beach during the invasion on June 6th 1944.
    Awesome piece of leather, very thick with perfect patina and lots of interesting wear.

1st the adjusting holes; It looks like it was first worn on the fifth set of holes from last (the largest position it was ever worn at), then the next one down, which left the biggest of the two vertical stains between the prong holes, so worn there the longest, then briefly on the next set in, then the next, then finally to the last [smallest setting] set of holes on the belt. Which would make sense, losing a bit of weight at first, staying steady for a while, and then dropping rather more quickly as supplies got shorter. *

Then there is a thin vertical mark (dark stain in leather), as pictures, a third of the way or so from the adjusting holes. From something hanging there?

Fairly squarely in the middle of the back is a very distinct vertical line quite worn into the belt, from the bread bag hooks, or?

* Can't help playing the detective here... have been re-watching too many episodes of Foyle's war... ;-)
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 02-17-2013 at 04:50 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just uncovered H. Arld 1942 Heer Combat Belt & Buckle, lots of personality! Belt wear forensics?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just uncovered H. Arld 1942 Heer Combat Belt & Buckle, lots of personality! Belt wear forensics?

Nice been there belt and buckle (BTW moved your thread to the correct sub forum )
    Ben

Default Re: Just uncovered H. Arld 1942 Heer Combat Belt & Buckle, lots of personality! Belt wear forensics?

Thx Ben, sounds like the place where I need to hang out! ;-)

lol a good place to be
    Ben

Amazing response... ;-( Lesson learned, this is obviously of zero interest to anyone. And ditto as far as anyone bothering to comment or respond to questions on the belt wear which I found so interesting.

Note to self; Find better things to do with your time... give up on the idea of sharing finds with others, this is not a rewarding endeavor.

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    Amazing response... Lesson learned, this is obviously of zero interest to anyone. And ditto as far as anyone bothering to comment or respond to questions on the belt wear which I found so interesting.

Note to self; Find better things to do with your time... give up on the idea of sharing finds with others, this is not a rewarding endeavor.
    It happens and it is the weekend when members might have other things to do, though I should also point out this is not an on demand forum where members are here to respond at your command. If you give it a bit more time I am sure those who have an interest in this type of item would have responded. It is frustrating when items appear to be ignored, but you only posted it last night, so maybe wait a bit longer before you give up.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Patience is a virtue.
    Or so I have been told. There are many who are interested in your findings, maybe just have not seen your thread yet. There are many threads that do not get much response, yours is not the only one. Remember, there is no requirement for other members to respond. They will do so when they either have time, or have something to say. I personally have not viewed my belts in this fashion, yet. Interesting!
    Ralph.
    Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    Amazing response... ;-( Lesson learned, this is obviously of zero interest to anyone. And ditto as far as anyone bothering to comment or respond to questions on the belt wear which I found so interesting.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Dont expect a reply every time, I have a Turnerbund posted in mint condition and not one comment, some posts attract one two comments at times, thats forums for you!
    Ben

Ben

Nice original belt and buckle. I would not say and "WOW" because I have seen many before Your pictures. For You maybe it is the first one and the first one is always special.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast