Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?

Article about: Hi all, first of all I would like to thank you all again for the warm welcome I have recieved in this forum after having registered today! So, about the buckle: Yesterday I ordered a steel h

Default Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?

Hi all,

first of all I would like to thank you all again for the warm welcome I have recieved in this forum after having registered today!

So, about the buckle:

Yesterday I ordered a steel heer belt buckle online, from a very reputable seller (googling the seller returns praise from all over the web), from whom I have previously bought some medals (which all seem legit to me). The seller claims to only sell genuine period items and even offers certificates of autheticity.

So, with this background, it never crossed my mind to validate the buckle before buying - I trusted in the sellers reputation & history.

However, before I even received the buckle, I googled the maker i saw stamped in the pictures, just to ease the wait and try to learn something about the buckles history while eagerly waiting: I wasn’t too happy when I found lots of ”pigeon head” threads with pictures of buckles VERY similar to the one I had bought... 🤔

So now, here I am, pretty sure by now that I have a fake in my hands (received the package today). But hope dies last: I would appreciate if you guys could have a look and tell me what you think.

Again; this is from a highly respected seller: Receiving a fake from him seems so insane! 😳
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?   Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?  

Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?   Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome, now the bad news, the buckle is a well known "pigeon head" fake, a common fake sold of reenactors sites
    Ben

One I keep for reference

- - ------- - -

One that has been aged with acid to fool people
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?   Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?  

Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?   Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?  

Ben

They have various makers marked on them, different colours prongs sometimes original tabs sewn on

Real Franke & Co Heer Belt Buckle?  
    Ben

Hello again..
    Surely if it is a well known dealer then there should be no problem in returning it and get a full refund...
    Who's the seller?
    Best regards
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

Aw that’s really a bummer, I hoped that I had finally gotten myself a nice buckle.
    But I guess I was almost certain myself even before posting. Just needed confirmation, since I couldn’t get into my head that this seller would carry and sell fakes.

Well, I’m pretty sure a mistake was made and that I will get a refund. The seller does have a 14 day inspection period, so I should be OK.

I’ve been a bit reluctant to post the sellers name, since I didn’t want to damage their reputation unnecessarily, but since the buckle did in fact turn out to be a fake: Military Antiques Stockholm.
    I feel like they should have known it’s fake, especially since this seems to be a well known one.

Will ask for the refund and let you guys know how it went.

Thanks for your quick help - Much appreciated!

He knows its a fake!!!!
    Ben

Yes, I feel the same way. Probably overreacting, but the whole thing kind of breaks my heart, since I had great trust in that site... :-(

?

Seller has a few other buckles that look like artificially aged fakes. One RLB buckle is sold and the RAD buckle still available. The prices are also very low at 50 and 35 Euro. Very crudely cut prongs etc.

Don't let this dissuade you from the hobby. We all get burned at least once. I got bitten by a bad steel helmet a few months ago, and I know how much it stings. It's part of the process of growing as a collector. Better that you get your burn out of the way sooner, and go forward with a greater degree of trepidation.

There are many reputable dealers whom you will come to recognise through experience. Espenlaub Militaria, Lakeside Trader and the Ruptured Duck are all quality and trustworthy sources, and there are many 'smaller' dealers who have good, well-deserved reputations. There are so many that you will have to find those yourself, but it does happen. The more time you spend in the hobby, the more research you do, the more experience you gain, the better protected you will be against fakes.

Remember: Everything is faked, and even the best dealers sometimes let bad items slip through the cracks. There are some very convincing reproductions out there, crafted well enough to fool veteran collectors with decades worth of experience. If something seems too good to be true, it absolutely is. I have collected by that particular rule since I first got into the hobby, and the moment I deviated from it and bought a questionable stahlhelm, I got burned.

The path we collectors must walk is a very straight and narrow one. But walking it is more than worth the effort. Walk it well, and you'll find your pot of gold at the end. (I know that's rainbows, but I'd like to see you try to walk on one of those!)

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast