Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?

Article about: Thanks Ben... when I offered \\$90 I thought that was what it was worth but, now that I have found out that the tab probably doesn't belong together with this buckle, and also taking the condi

?

Default Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?

Hi Guys... came across a buckle with attached leather tab stamped 'Schmole & Co, Mendon' but I can't seem to find out anything about this maker... any info would be much appreciated. Cheers... Hansi
    Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?

Hello Schmole is a well known company. I have Army and Luftwaffe buckles by Schmole and Co. I don't like the thread on the tab your showing. It looks a little thin. Here is the trademark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?   Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?  

Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?   Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?  

?

Thanks Kirby... nice examples! I'll see if I can get some better pictures of that thin stitching... you've got me worried now! Cheers... Hansi

?

Here's a closer view of the stitching... it's the best I can do. It does look a bit messy... and a couple of shots of the buckle itself... what do you think? Cheers... Hansi
    Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?Schmole & Co, Mendon... ?

Both the buckle and tab are original, whether they belong together is another question. The stitching does not look like the standard three ply cotton they used and could have been added at some point. If the buckle is steel they it is not Schmole & Comp, their eagle design was quite unique, have a look at Kirbys and you will see why. Only three makers had eagles in this style, Schmole & Comp (S&C), C W Motz and J C Maedicke. It is believed that Motz and Maedicke merged at some point as their design is virtually the same, Maedicke was based in Berlin and and Motz in Brandenburg, only a stones throw each really. Have a look in the Non M4 makers thread and you will see examples by these makers.
    Ben

For reference here is a picture of three ply stitching so you will understand what I mean, if you dont let me know and I will try and find a better picture
    Attached Images Attached Images Schmole & Co, Mendon... ? 
    Ben

?

Thanks a lot Ben... yes, that's clear to me now. I had the feeling that the leather tab was genuine but that someone had done some sort of repair work on it, the stitching doesn't actually fill the holes and looks a bit 'lost'. I'm pleased to hear that the buckle is okay but, I have just heard from the guy who's selling it and he doesn't want to reduce the price... he's asking US$ 120 for the buckle & tab and I tried to get him to drop it to US$90 including P&P... do you think that US$120 is a bit steep too? Cheers... Hansi

Yes....I think that's a bit pricey given the condition of the buckle and the fact that the tab was added or resewn. Ultimately it comes down to who wants to pay for it .... but that's my take anyways. There are nicer examples out there for the same money....
    Just my two cents!
    Cheers!
    Rob

?

Thanks Rob... that's just what I wanted to know.... I'll let this one go, as you say, there are nicer examples in better condition to be had so I'll look around some more. Cheers... Hansi

I would not pay that price for that buckle, I would $80 max
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast