Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advise on preserving uniforms

Article about: Hello, I was wondering what is the best way to preserve a uniform. I have mine in display cases, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to place silica gel packets in the pockets and sho

Default Advise on preserving uniforms

Hello, I was wondering what is the best way to preserve a uniform. I have mine in display cases, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to place silica gel packets in the pockets and shoes of the uniforms to prevent damage. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advise on preserving uniforms
    P
    Many

There are two potential dangers, strong sunlight and moth. Avoiding the first is obvious, the second very much depends on where you live and the conditions in your house. I have been collecting uniforms for 28 years and I have never had to do anything to protect them- no new moth holes have ever appeared. As you have display cases, I would of thought there would be no problem. I wouldnt see any need for Silica Gell at all.

What about mold?

If you live in a warm, dry house, mold should be irrelevant.

Have you had any problems with it?

Not yet, I was just concerned and trying to prepare for the worse case scenario. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome.

Hello,
    A part of my Feldblusen, greatcoats and pants are stored on hangers in slipcovers, with "moth papers" in the pockets.
    Another part of the uniforms are on display on mannequins with "moth papers" in the pockets. They never see the sunlight as my war room is in complete darkness when i'm not in...i use a low lumen light when i'm in. I sometimes open the heavie curtains when i want to photograph a mannequin.
    I have seen the ravages done by sunlight on a FJ camo smock that was mint on the front and almost white on the back because of many years under direct sunlight...when it's done it's too late to care about...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

CBH
    ?

Might I ask what Moth Papers are , I've not heard that term before .

Quote by CBH View Post
    Might I ask what Moth Papers are , I've not heard that term before .
    Hello,
    I'm not surprised that you never heard this term before as i invented it while posting...i dont know how it's called in English, it's an anti-moth that comes in the form of a small sheet of paper.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

The uniforms I have on displayed are covered with a clear plastic dry cleaning bag as a deterrent to dust with a cedar sachet tucked away under the bag as an anti-moth aid. I make these by simply placing cedar chips in a nylon stocking tied shut with a knot. Like JPhilip, my displayed uniforms are in a dedicated room that receives no direct sunlight.

The uniforms not on display are stored in garment bags, again with a cedar sachet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast