Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Afrika Korps Helmet?

Article about: Hi all, I usually don't venture into collecting German WW2 items but they've been of great interest of me as of late. I came across this helmet from a dealer I trust to know his stuff but I

Default Afrika Korps Helmet?

Hi all,

I usually don't venture into collecting German WW2 items but they've been of great interest of me as of late. I came across this helmet from a dealer I trust to know his stuff but I just wanted to see what the consensus on this forum was about this helmet. From what he told me he believed it was an Afrika Korps helmet with a later added liner from some other country. I noticed this before he said it since the liner doesn't fit well into the shell of the helmet. Anyway from what it looks like is that the decal was applied around the original paint since the layer of paint beneath the tan seems to be the factory grey color however I'm not sure if my line of thinking in this area is right. Anyways I would really appreciate it if someone could provide me with some more information regarding this helmet and whether or not it seems authentic. I know the pictures are not the best but I tried to get pictures of the most crucial areas. Please let me know what you think, thank you all very much!

Best,

Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afrika Korps Helmet?   Afrika Korps Helmet?  

Afrika Korps Helmet?   Afrika Korps Helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrika Korps Helmet?
    P
    Many

?

You'd be best to avoid this. The paint is post war and the liner as you said is not original to the helmet. Decal is probably a fake.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding so quickly! Just for future reference what indicates a post war application of paint? I'd like to know as if I see another German helmet out in the world I can see when the paint was applied. Thanks again!

?

Looks like the liner could be a Norwegian reissue

Hi Sider, welcome to the forum. Doug as usual is "bang on". Sadly this is a one "looker" fake of a tan cammo. To be honest it is so far off what you need to be looking for that the list is far to long to type, but for starters the shade of paint is not correct, neither are the wear patterns. If you have the cash and are interested in getting a good one, post pictures here before buying and we will only be to happy to help and advise. Leon.

Quote by Slider92 View Post
    I came across this helmet from a dealer I trust to know his stuff
    Welcome. He might know some stuff but he doesn't know this helmet, that's for sure. Pass on this one. Thanks for posting before buying. It paid off for you this time, and usually will always pay off.

Quote by Slider92 View Post
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding so quickly! Just for future reference what indicates a post war application of paint? I'd like to know as if I see another German helmet out in the world I can see when the paint was applied. Thanks again!
    Welcome Slider,

I would suggest you type "One Looker" into the search function and start checking out the helmets that crop up. It's as good a start as any.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Horrible fake only good for re-enactors or those with no taste or money.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

Slider,

Welcome. The guys above know their stuff and that is no understatement. This helmet is all messed up.

If your new to collecting helmets it's best you buy a good reference book to quickly get up to speed and then as noted above post the helmet here or at GHW.

I find that 90% of so called dealers know squat about what they have. (Not saying they are lying). You can visit some of the sponsors of this forum as well as the classifieds here. Further, here is a list of other dealers that know there stuff (post #4 from our friend DougB in the thread below). They are all US based. If you live elsewhere I'm sure the guys can give you tips for other local dealers.

Australia Helmet Dealers

as for a good book, I recommend Ken N's book.

Helmetssale

Happy hunting,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Deleted. Duplicate post
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast