Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AKFRIKAKORPS Cuff Title - Confirm Fake

Article about: Hi Folks, New to the forum. I collect U.S. WW2 militaria. From time to time I find German or Japanese stuff in with lots that I've purchased. I had a local friend who collected German so I w

Default Re: AKFRIKAKORPS Cuff Title - Confirm Fake

The German Stuff is cool but it's not within my wheelhouse. So I'm gonna sell it so I can buy my kinda stuff. Can anyone give a guess as to what it might be worth. A fair price not an inflated e-bay one. It's in what I would call fair condition.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
    Scott

The collector's guild is way overpriced and it's impossible for a collector to sell at what they are asking for. I never understood why people are buying from there since you can get the same items for less than half. I know they are trying to make a salary as well but why pay 1000 euros for a ss zeltbahn since you can easily find a nice example from a collector for 550 max.
    I have a mint Afrikakorps cufftitle which i have bought for 120 euros.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

I posted the link with the understanding that among collectors the price at which items are sold are generally half of a dealer's price, maybe I should have stated that.
    Mine is not mint and I paid $175 for mine a few years back. You were lucky to find yours at a good price.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I posted the link with the understanding that among collectors the price at which items are sold are generally half of a dealer's price, maybe I should have stated that.
    Mine is not mint and I paid $175 for mine a few years back. You were lucky to find yours at a good price.

Tom
    Hi Tom, i know but the member who started the thread is new here therefore i thought to clarify that. Of course he might be an old collector and already know that but better safe than sorry
    Cheers
    Chris
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Today I went to a local flea market to get some fresh veggies for a family dinner later. Just for grins I took the cuff title along with me in case one of the many local dealers was set-up. As luck would have it the market was three times the normal size because of the holiday. I saw my normal cohorts of collectors and dealers. Now mind you my friends are Allied collectors. I showed them the cuff title and all were appreciative of it for what it was. One of my buddies mentioned that there was an out of state dealer on the other side of the market who had a bunch of Axis stuff. So I eventually made my way over to his tables. Being that I'm a very social person I always enjoy talking with fellow dealers/collectors about our hobby regardless of their niche. Right off the bat this guy was a total dick. So I decided to play dumb and see what he would tell me about the cuff title. When I pulled it out his attitude changed dramatically. Now we were suddenly buddies. I told him that in was in among my recently deceased grandfathers estate. He looked at it for a minute and told that me that unfortunately it was a reproduction and had no collector value. He said he sees them all the time and sells them to reenactors. He offered to "take it off my hands" for $5. I politely declined his generous offer and moved on. Once again I was reminded that 1% of the hobby were just flat out thieves. I can only imagine how many veterans families this jerk-off swindled their relatives relics out of. Guys like this make the hobby look bad and really piss me off. I go to many estate sales in my pursuit of relics. I always take the time to explain to folks what they have if they don't know. I tell them the average price and make them a fair offer. Most times they appreciate the information and counter offer, normally we both walk away happy. Once in a while they run with my info and think they're gonna get big money for an item and decline. I always give them my card and tell them to call me if the item(s) don't sell. Usually I get a call a day or two later. Most tell me that people came in and low-balled them and balked at their asking price, normally over retail. We then make a fair deal and both sides are happy. I also get quite a few repeat calls when they find more stuff or they referred a friend to me. I've always tried to treat people fair and it really galls me when I run across guys like that dealer. It amazes me that guys like that can stay in business.

Okay, sorry for the rant. I appreciate everyone's help in identifying the cuff title.
    Thanks again,
    Scott

Alot of crooked dealers out there and unfortunatly very few honest ones, I was at a local militaria show and stumbled upon an older lady trying to sell her deceased uncles flag he brought back from germany, well this was no common flag, she pulled out of her bag a beautiful one looker original standard with a town name and imperial eagle sewn into it, I almost fell over, the dealer looked at it and said because it was missing a hook and had a tiny hole in it that he would give her 400 and if she shopped it around that he would give her nothing, I pulled her to the side and told her it was easily worth over 2000 to the right buyer, she thanked me and the snake dealer gave me a look but I didnt really care because he obviously knew it was very valuable, I gave her some names of people that would pay her a fair value for the flag, she called me a few days later and told me she sold the flag for 1600 :-) my good deed for the day lol.

Nice stories these guys make their living off of unsuspecting widows and people yea we have several around here to best is what you guys did. It always helps to expose them especially word of mouth hurts them a lot. timothy

?

Wow, you guys are reminding me of situations I've been in before at military shows. I actually got into it with a vendor at a local show. This guy was a total dick when I asked him a few questions about his items . A while later , an elderly woman with her son went up to him and said she had some flags and armbands from TR that her deceased vet husband had brought back and he said he'd give her about two hundred bucks. I overheard and walked up to them and told her she could get more from reputable people . The vendor was so mad and turned red! He said i was stepping on his toes.I returned his anger by saying ," how dare he swindle old widows" and right in front of him, I wrote down " war relics forum" , on the vendors business card, nonetheless and gave it to her! The son thanked me and that was that.
    Dean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12