Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this uniform?

Article about: Here's one of my grand uncles. I know nothing about his WW2 service. The only thing I know is that he was captured by the Brits and taken as a POW, and survived the war. Any clues on what he

?

Default Can anyone identify this uniform?

Here's one of my grand uncles. I know nothing about his WW2 service. The only thing I know is that he was captured by the Brits and taken as a POW, and survived the war.

Any clues on what he may have done during the war based on the pic? Anything you guys can tell me about his uniform?

Can anyone identify this uniform?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone identify this uniform?
    P
    Many

All I can add is that he has the rank of Unteroffizier (Junior NCO)...and he's wearing an M36 Tunic with the so-called "bottlegreen" collar...
    cheers, Glenn

All I think we can tell, will be he was a corporal (I think) in the Army.

?

I really hope the Deutsche Dienststelle gets back to me on his service record. They provided me with great details on my two other grand uncles that were killed in action. I'm very curious about what this grand uncle did before he was captured by the Brits.

?

I received some more photos of him from my cousin. I think these might help. Looks like a Gebirgsjager hat? Also looks like he was on guard duty somewhere?

Can anyone identify this uniform?Can anyone identify this uniform?

Great sentry picture in Sheepskin coat and winter (Frakenstein boots) This clothing was used for sentry duty. In cold enviroments like in Russia but could have been used anywhere where cold. Thank for showing a part of history. timothy

I would agree with Timothy.

He does wear the Mountain troopers cap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yes looks like a mountain cap and if you look carefully you can see what looks like the bottom part of a badge on the right hand side of the cap , also a early war photo from the pointed boards he is wearing

He doesn't look too Happy about being out on guard duty in that photo...
    (But, I'd sure like to have that sheepskin great coat! I don't imagine too many survived the war in good shape!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."