Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DAK Infantry

Article about: Yeh, schutzen and pnzgren were used as infantry, as they were just under another name.

Default Re: DAK Infantry

Could be DAK boots in my eyes, however you might be right that the soldiers on the pictrures are gebirgsjäger's

Dont want to be a menace but the 361. Infanterie-Regiment was first renamed into 361. Schützen-Regiment in July 1942, hence they must have been wearing white until then.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...nter/IR361.htm

Further more I do believe that many former Infanterie-regiments continued to wear white even though they were renamed to Schützen-Regiments.

Cheers!
    Mads

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK Infantry
    P
    Many

I have them listed as motorised infantry and mostly consisting of ex foreign legion members as part of 90th light. One source says one thing and another says something else, no surprise there then. Also depends on how you translate the entry in the lexicon, my German is not that good, but it does not say they were infantry, but Africa regiment 361 renamed shutzen regiment 361. So even if your translation is correct, which I assume it is, at best they were "infantry" for two months.

No one said white piping did not exist, just that it was rare in Africa.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Top pic, fourth from the left is Gebirg. boots 100%. Third guy is DAK boots i would say That being said many preferred the mountain boots over the "DAK" boots i have been told.

Interesting question you are raising Mads.

Regards, Lars

It is a well known pic and is usually said to be gebirgsjaeger. Must be remnants of SV288 as they were the only GJ troops in Africa I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry, I think you are right and I agree with you that white piping must have been very rare. Interesting story about the german legionaires btw.

The correct order should be Leichtes Infanterie-Regiment 361 -> Afrika-Regiment 361 -> Panzergrenadier-Regiment 361, so they must have started out wearing white, but I dont know how much effort they have put into changing waffenfarbe.

Cheers!
    Mads

?

Did we have a DAK photo thread here on forum?

Regards, Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Did we have a DAK photo thread here on forum?

Regards, Lars
    Not sure if there is one in the photo section. I have posted a few that I have in the rest of my collection thread.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    Jerry, I think you are right and I agree with you that white piping must have been very rare. Interesting story about the german legionaires btw.

The correct order should be Leichtes Infanterie-Regiment 361 -> Afrika-Regiment 361 -> Panzergrenadier-Regiment 361, so they must have started out wearing white, but I dont know how much effort they have put into changing waffenfarbe.

Cheers!
    Mads
    Thanks for the translation Mads.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

DAK InfantryDAK Infantry

White piping in North Africa was definitely rare so you will see very few pieces with this colour.
    As Ade has already said, the mechanised infantry (schutzen Regiments/Panzer Grenadiers) had green piping.
    Some members of the Machine Gun battalions had white piping but most apparently had green. I know of an officers tunic from one of the MG battalions which has white piping, and this was a North Africa souvenir.
    The white soutache that you believe to see in the earlier photo could quite easily be lemon yellow or any number of colours that show up light in black and white photos.

Mark

?

Thanks a lot Mark I really appreciate all the info i have received on this subject If somebody have something to add to this thread it would be very nice indeed

The Officers tunic you are mentioning, will it be for sale or?

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Thanks a lot Mark The Officers tunic you are mentioning, will it be for sale or?

Regards, Lars
    No

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast