Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---

Article about: Now, I know this type is contested and there's no period proof that these are period but... I've got one and I'd like to put it up anyway. Reading a few threads it seems opinions are split,

Default Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---

Now, I know this type is contested and there's no period proof that these are period but... I've got one and I'd like to put it up anyway. Reading a few threads it seems opinions are split, some like them others don't... seems mostly because there's only one "type" that's accepted (at least as far as I know) and that's the cotton type (mostly printed?). Either way, discussion is fun so here are my observations and thoughts from handling it:

-Typical thing: it's really got that old sweet fabric smell that is prevalent on most all cloth armbands I've had, so... at the very least not "new"
    -Does not glow under blacklight
    -Measures W:7cm and L:43 cm --- so, kind of more of a cufftitle size?
    -Folded over and sewn in only on one end --- I'm thinking possibly for simplicity of crafting with the eventual sewing together/ wearing on sleeve in mind
    -Slightly shiny fabric. I have no idea what kind it might be -- nice bit of soiling to the reverse
    -Jagged edges to the font --- possibly cost cutting on manufacturing/embroidery?

From comments I've read these are seldom seen, which could, in a way, be a positive but of course no real valid pointer to authenticity. I'd be even more worried if they were not accepted AND all over the place though.

But, yeah... not a high end item, and a possibly highly contested one at that, but interesting nevertheless. Suggestions, thoughts and/or any theories welcomed!

Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---
    P
    Many

I have actually never seen one of these before. So I cannot offer any real comment. Let's see what others think?

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for chiming in either way, Adrian! There's a few threads on WAF on these and it seems their history goes some time back, so at the very least if it's a fake it's an older creation. Also, one sticking point people keep referencing are the "blocky" letters, which some have suggested appear almost "digital". I, personally, find the theory that this was produced using a font that actually also looked this digital in print to be rather strange and not very likely. Even the eagle and the rest of it sports these jagged edges so I, personally, chalk it up to low detail weave, not some modern digital font having been utilized.

Appealing oddities such as this attract me. Even though it's still the most questionable item I currently have in my collection. Would it be correct labeling something like this BeVo, you think?

Hi, Slados

I also have one of these but it differs in that the letters are not blocky, as you noted. Such items were truly in use as evidenced in some period photos and I'm sure some vet bring-backs. Whether what you have is authentic, well, those blocky letters make it look iffy but who knows. There was a thread that spoke to the authenticity of these kampfbinde and which were fake or not. Best of luck.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thanks for chiming in, Mark! Very interesting --- do you have photos of yours that you could share?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in, Mark! Very interesting --- do you have photos of yours that you could share?
    I just checked and I do not. I'll take some quick shots in a minute (that means I'll post in 2 hours, lol) and we can compare them. I thought I did post my example before but I just cannot find pics. I'll do a double check before doing the pic thing again.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Hehe... good stuff, Mark! Take your time

Slados

Enlarge the photos for a better look and comparison. Not that a comparison will help with authenticating anything but maybe something can be learned.

I will add, my armband also has that great smell I have that urge to smell old military cloth also.

Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---Deutscher Volkssturm Kampfbinde variant ---

Ah, yes --- I think I saw that one before on here --- thanks for posting it again, nice one! The discussions and talk of the variation I have been rambling on about though has distinctly been regarding this particular "Bevo" (?) style armband that I posted -- so, even though they are stylistically more or less the same, I don't think we'll get much further comparing the two. Love the other two as well, perfect wool example! I sold my other armbands recently, two regular cotton NSDAP and one NSDAP Gau, but couldn't help myself a few days ago and now I already have a nice early style replacement SA/NSDAP on its way

Just to add something, at every militaria show we have in Brisbane there is a bloke who has 50+ these exact armbands in a big box for 5$ as old "Indian repros". The reason I know they are exactly the same is because they have the Polyacrylonitrile material and machine stitching. Personally knowing that most Volksstrum armbands are silk screen printed and because no one seems to pick them up at the shows, It would not be for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast