Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

eBay auction titled 'Original WW2 Leather Coat'...

Article about: ...The question being - How Original? Sellers description as follows - 'Interesting, 1943 dated, brown leather Deck Coat. Personalised modifications including removal of rear half-belt and c

Default eBay auction titled 'Original WW2 Leather Coat'...

...The question being - How Original?

Sellers description as follows - 'Interesting, 1943 dated, brown leather Deck Coat. Personalised modifications including removal of rear half-belt and cuff straps. Possibly buttons repositioned. All buttons WW2 Kriegsmarine, one button detached and in pocket. Manufacturers Stamped Information mostly obliterated but 1943 date stamp can still be made out. Soft leather, usable condition. Size 44in. Chest, 34in. Long, 17in. inner sleeve seam.'

All comment welcome.

Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (11).jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	950192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	950193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (2).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	950194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (3).jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	950195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	950196

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

After further observation I did spot the number '3' stencilled above the date. Does this correspond with German issued uniform ? As I'm not aware of see this in the past.

Would the crossing out of information be red flag with regards to covering up where this once belonged ? Or could it have been crossed post ww2 during peacetime and worn as a civilian item ?

Any help would be appreciated .

I can just about make out numbers 29 & 42 on the bottom row and the beginning of what could be the markers name .

I'm not an expert on these but here is my opinion: With the anchor embossed button, it could be a leather coat made by a contractor in France for the KM. I have a set of black leathers for foul weather and the trousers are made in France. My Konteradmiral's greatcoat is tailor-made in Paris.

Quote by Panzer Crewman View Post
    I'm not an expert on these but here is my opinion: With the anchor embossed button, it could be a leather coat made by a contractor in France for the KM. I have a set of black leathers for foul weather and the trousers are made in France. My Konteradmiral's greatcoat is tailor-made in Paris.
    Interesting. That may explain it. Thanks for commenting.

You don't happen to recognise the style of the coat? Those waist pockets are quite striking ...

But I would try and find someone who is an expert in these leather garments. I cannot tell you how many times that black leather jackets in a panzer cut automatically get tagged with "Hitlerjugend Division". The HJ Division was not the only unit with these leather jackets. Additionally, there were a few panzer men that were issued these, not the entire SS-Panzer-Regiment 12. I think that after a couple of guys got these, they had a photographer shoot some photos of them. Remember too that they got these during the summer and it's already hot inside those tanks.

But I would try and find someone who is an expert in these leather garments. I cannot tell you how many times that black leather jackets in a panzer cut automatically get tagged with "Hitlerjugend Division". The HJ Division was not the only unit with these leather jackets. Additionally, there were a few panzer men that were issued these, not the entire SS-Panzer-Regiment 12. I think that after a couple of guys got these, they had a photographer shoot some photos of them. Remember too that they got these during the summer and it's already hot inside those tanks.
    Very informative post. It is fair to say that I'm learning a lot of valuable information. So thanks.

Should there be any leather experts out there do comment below. I understand that buttons get removed and added from one jacket to another. This was my initial assumption.

Was the brown a standard issue then or specified to officer and the likes? As I was under the impression that Panzer issued leather garments were mainly in black with the top pocket rather than brown. Then again I have seen a re-issue style wrap around style in brown . How original that is I'm not too sure. Like I said I'm not so hot on German militaria.

I was hoping that the stamping inside the coat would ring a few bells....

The search continues.

If you're not interested in German militaria, why are you seeking a leather coat, and why are you on this forum? German militaria is what this section of the forum is all about.

Generally speaking, leather overcoats were worn by German officers. They were given an allotment of money to go and buy their uniforms. Raincoats are another officer special clothing. Enlisted were issued their uniforms. The Kriegsmarine used leather coats and pants for foul weather. You can see U-Boat crews wearing them. They came in gray and black. I have a 2-piece black leather set. The panzer forces wore so little of this it would be almost impossible to find a genuine leather jacket that was actually worn by them. eBay likes to sell black leather overcoats worn by the Gestapo. If they all wore these, they would be very easy to pick them out of a crowd. The Gestapo got no where near these black leather overcoats!

If you're not interested in German militaria, why are you seeking a leather coat, and why are you on this forum? German militaria is what this section of the forum is all about.!
    Sorry - Let me clear that up. What I meant by 'not so hot' is that I'm still very much a novice when it comes to German militaria. As I have only sold a few pieces in the past. I'm still very much in the learning stages. I love artefacts from all over the world. Mainly British. I came here for simple advice on the item you see. From the experts. i.e Yourself.

[QUOTE=Panzer Crewman;1605788 Generally speaking, leather overcoats were worn by German officers. They were given an allotment of money to go and buy their uniforms. Raincoats are another officer special clothing. Enlisted were issued their uniforms. The Kriegsmarine used leather coats and pants for foul weather. You can see U-Boat crews wearing them. They came in gray and black. I have a 2-piece black leather set. The panzer forces wore so little of this it would be almost impossible to find a genuine leather jacket that was actually worn by them. eBay likes to sell black leather overcoats worn by the Gestapo. If they all wore these, they would be very easy to pick them out of a crowd. The Gestapo got no where near these black leather overcoats![/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the detailed information. I shall keep it noted for future reference. I'm very intrigued at looking at the 2 piece leather set you have. Are there any photographs available via the forum? Just out of interest - Not so much to purchase.

As they say - Every day's is a school day"

Cheers.

If you stop learning, then you might as well pack it in. The only picture I have of it right now is when I used it in an exhibit with the theme, "Uniforms of the German Kriegsmarine" at Sully Historic Site in Chantilly, Virginia. It is just the coat, not the trousers, and there is an original KM life preserver over it. I'll post what I have. My pictures got cut off when I decided to encrypt them. I lost access to an external disk drive where I stored all of my data.

On display is my Konteradmiral, Korvettenkapitan Rudolf Heynsen's reefer jacket (RK), the cap belonging to Bernhard Rogge of Atlantis Raider fame, sailor's blue jumper and overseas cap, black leather foul weather coat with KM life preserver and overseas cap with pin for U-391 and U-450. The pin was turned upside down and used for two Type XXI boats. Exhibit was in early July 2011.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 Sully WW2 Living History Weekend 034.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	950585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 Sully WW2 Living History Weekend 033.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	950584  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 Sully WW2 Living History Weekend 022.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	950583  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast