Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division Kreta

Article about: I came across this little goat badge on the internet and remembered reading an excellent thread by Todd on this subject matter and took a chance and bought it. It's supposed to be a small tr

?

Default Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division Kreta

I came across this little goat badge on the internet and remembered reading an excellent thread by Todd on this subject matter and took a chance and bought it. It's supposed to be a small traditions badge worn by the Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division that took part in the invasion of Greece and Crete. The badge looks authentic and period made and also has Kreta etched on the back. Who knows if that was done post war to enhance the value or original to the piece. Anyway I tried it on my Polizei Bergmutze type cap just to see how it looks, I know it doesn't belong there but I don't own a proper Gebirgs visor or cap. All opinions and thoughts are valued. Thanks, Al

THREAD LINK: Hurra die Gams! 5th Mountain Division visor cap.

Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  KretaGams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  Kreta

Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  Kreta

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  Kreta
    P
    Many

?

I am a collector of division badges...I don't have one of these, but I do have reference photos of originals. I will check when I get home, these are heavily faked and are so simple that some of the fakes look really convincing. I don't want to judge until I look at my references

?

I have images of three different badges, which I can't share because of watermarks from other people, I just use them for reference. My impressions are that it doesn't match any of the three variants I have images of for a few reasons...

1. Mountain peaks are too round

2. Horn is a bit short, and the 'bulb' on the tip doesn't match any of the examples I've seen

3. Clasp doesn't match any I've seen...pin is usually mounted on the back of the head.

I have sent images to a friend of mine with far more experience in division badges than I. Hopefully he has better news, these division badges are very tough, as they were often simply constructed, and in many cases hand-made (not this particular one). They're not as big a minefield as U-Boat traditions, but they're a minefield, and the fakers are laughing their way to the bank because there is no reference book on the subject as of now!

?

Thanks Brig, I see your point about the horn tip, the mountain and the pin. I just used these images from TWS's thread as a guide and upon closer examination I do see the differences now. Fleeced by ebay once again,Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  Kreta at least it wasn't too expensive. Thanks, Al

CREDIT: TWS

?

Gams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  KretaGams Trdition badge - Gebirgsjäger - 5. Gebirgs-Division  Kreta

?

This is a wildly popular division badge, all GJ and Panzer ones are highly sought, and thus.......you guessed it, highly reproduced!

Again, don't throw in the towel just yet, I am not an expert on these, let's see what the guy I emailed says.

Papa Kiser should weigh in. NH

?

Well......the guy I emailed believes this to be a good badge. He is not making a guess on the word etched on the back, but he says he likes the badge. He collects nothing but divisional badges, for far longer than I so I defer to him.

So...a fourth variant I previously didn't know about. Seems you lucked out, and I missed seeing it on auction completely. Still plenty to learn in this hobby

?

Thanks Brig, another nice find thanks to this forum and it's members. Al

?

We're only 4 months into the year...you need to pace out that luck streak you've been having. You don't want to burn through it all and leave yourself suffering withdrawels come 4th quarter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast