Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Generalmajor Hans Bessel

Article about: Hi I am always looking for photos or information about Generalmajor Hans Bessel. He was an engineer ans helped in the construction of the Gustav Line. I was able to get his military records

Default Generalmajor Hans Bessel

Hi

I am always looking for photos or information about Generalmajor Hans Bessel. He was an engineer ans helped in the construction of the Gustav Line. I was able to get his military records from NARA. I was able to also get his interrogation as he was under USA custudy.
    He was born in Magdeburg 1893 and died in Koln 1979
    He was a veteran from WW1 and his nhighest award was DKIS.

It is interesting that many records have is last name spelled as Bessell, but his family spelled his last name with only one l- Bessel.
    The only photo I have is from
    axis biographical research records

regards

Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Generalmajor Hans Bessel   Generalmajor Hans Bessel  

Generalmajor Hans Bessel   Generalmajor Hans Bessel  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Generalmajor Hans Bessel
    P
    Many

Default Re: Generalmajor Hans Bessel

The tunic is dated Feb 1943. I guess he ordered it before he was actually promoted. He was promoted to Generalmajor on April 1 1943.

Juan

Hi Juan,

Very interesting uniform Juan, for me it is not a surprise he was received the DKiS (version for capable war service) instead of the Gold version for bravery in combat, because of his later function as described below. But IMO it’s much nicer than the gold version.

I have some homework done and can complete his record further from September 1943 and on.

Generalmajor Hans Bessell (or Bessel how the famaly appears to spell it) was Chef-des-Verbindungsstabes of the "Heeresgruppe F" on 8. September of 1943. His command was located at the 2. Panzerarmeeoberkommando at Kraljevo (Serbia). The 2. Panzerarmee was part of “Heeresgruppe F” that was stationed on the Balkans from September 1943 till January 1945.

Generalmajor Hans Bessell participates into the negotiations of the surrender and demobilizing of the Italian forces on the Balkan. In this role he is mentioned a couple times into the science article (German language) called “Die Italienischen Militärinternierten im deutschen Machtbereich 1943-45” written by Gerhard Schreiber(ISBN 3-486-55391-7). You can find an online version of this on the internet. The pages 191, 192 and 194 mentioning a couple of times his name.

very nice piece of history Juan!

I’ve been brainstorming and could not find peace with it, and ofcourse it’s a big possibly and very likely that this is the tunic of the man we are talking about. But I've still some Question marks I like to reveal.

May I ask you how you can be sure that this is the tunic of Generalmajor Hans Bessell (1893-1979) born at Magdenurg (East-Germany), because there was also a Generalmajor named Arnold Bessel (1882-1945) born at Wiesbaden (West-Germany) a place nearby Köln. And how do you know for sure the family of “Hans Bessell” wrote their name with only one L? Did you obtain this uniform directly from the family, or maybe you’ve another logical explanation I couldn’t know?

Please let me know.

May I ask you how you can be sure that this is the tunic of Generalmajor Hans Bessell (1893-1979) born at Magdenurg (East-Germany), because there was also a Generalmajor named Arnold Bessel (1882-1945) born at Wiesbaden (West-Germany) a place nearby Köln. And how do you know for sure the family of “Hans Bessell” wrote their name with only one L? Did you obtain this uniform directly from the family, or maybe you’ve another logical explanation I couldn’t know?

Please let me know.

After the general died the tunic stayed with his family. I know that "papers" and stories do not count. The tunic should stand by itself.
    I have a letter from his grandson.
    thanks
    Juan

Hi Juan,

It’s always tricky if we are dealing with letters from the supposed family’s, because it are alway's door closers, but IMO this letter is not telling us the whole truth. It funny, because the info into the letter I already figured out by interpretation before even reading it. Everybody knows that many former “East-German” family’s went to the West at the ending of the war, because of their fear for communism and destruction of their habitats, and that’s the exact reason why he (Hans Bessell) died in Köln (1979). I’m a believe this is realy the truth. But, in the letter stays literal that he went to Köln after 1945, and this is a very important clue that revolves the mystery.

If we take a closer look at his military record, the only period we can bring him in connection with Köln is the period between January 1941 and Mai 1941, when he was into Reserve of Wehrkreis VI. All the other periods (after and before) he was detached into the east sectors of Germany (and also the Balkans).

Secondly we can see that his records is showing us that he was promoted to Generalmajor on 1.April 1943, the tunic is two months earlier delivered, chronologic it doesn’t fit very much.

If we take a look at Generalmajor Hans (von) Bessel (1882-1945) born at Wiesbaden, he was already promoted to Generalmajor in 1941! That he order a new tunic in 1943 in more likelier and he lived almost in Köln! His name Bessel is also in the Tunic and he doens't have al those other "Problems"...

Dealers gets a lot of stories told, and they simply pass it on, because it good for the merchandise. On well known American Dealersite there is a Heeres Generalleutnant for sale that comes from with the original medal bar, he found it in his pocket and it was all the time there, yeh right, unfortunately this is also a lie (from the dealer or the man who offered him), because this medal bar was a year ago part of a convolute on eBay, exact the same piece, the same dirt and the same damages and no uniform was sold with it! I'm not out for backbiting anyone, I only want to say, be carefull with the info you get, and always try to check the facts...

Hi

I agree that the uniform or artifact should stand by itself. I bought the tunic because after inspection I really think is the original tunic. I really do not care about any letter
    I hope that I will find a photo of the General with this tunic as that would be the only way to be 100 % certain.
    I was under the impression that Oberst's had an idea when they would had been promoted- Of course if the screw up they could had been expelled from the Army. I though that ordering a tunic 2 months before promotion was not abnormal.
    I love history and I welcome any help to find the truth. Even if it means that is not what is supposed to be.

thanks a lot

Juan

Hi

If you look at his carrer records from the Axis biographical Research that he was transferred to the Italian front in March 4 1943. So he was promoted while in Italy
    From 15 June-March 4, 1943 He was Higher Pioneer Officer 2? Was that in Koln?
    He then was transferred to the italian front and promoted oficially to Generalmajor April 1 1943

Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Generalmajor Hans Bessel   Generalmajor Hans Bessel  

Another record
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Generalmajor Hans Bessel  

Hello Juan,

For you information, Hans Bessel was never send into Italy, but he was send to the Balkans (Serbia and Croatia) were he was part of Heeresgruppe F (Heeresgruppe E was subordered to Heeresgruppe F). He was "Chef-des-Verbindungsstabes" between the German and Italian Army located on the Balkans. That's the meaning of the shortcut (it.) He was also involved into the negociations of the surrending of the Italian Army after they betray the Germans... Please read the previous posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast