Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German halftrack crew uniforms

Article about: hi there, have been looking into this one and i'm struggling to find an answer. Did German half-track drivers wear panzer wraps or did they wear normal tunics?? would be interesting to know

Default German halftrack crew uniforms

hi there, have been looking into this one and i'm struggling to find an answer.

Did German half-track drivers wear panzer wraps or did they wear normal tunics??

would be interesting to know as i'm due to work with a half-track this summer at various events round the uk...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German halftrack crew uniforms
    P
    Many

Default Re: German halftrack crew uniforms

Hi Dave, and welcome.

Generally speaking, the drivers wore the standard M42/43 tunic in field grey, although this could vary in shade up to an almost olive colour.

I notice on another thread you mention that the vehicle you'll be using is a 'Grossdeutschland' division type. Here's a bit of info that may help a little.

"Greater Germany" - On June 23rd, 1943, Infanterie Division "Grossdeutschland" was officially re-classified as a Panzergrenadier Division and its two infantry regiments became known as Panzer Grenadier Regiment Grossdeutschland and Panzer Fusilier Regiment Grossdeutschland respectively. Interestingly, both units retained their white arm-of-service or branch color (waffenfarbe) rather than the new grass-green piping adopted by the panzergrenadiers. Involved in Operation: Zitadelle, Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland was, in actuality, a full-fledged panzer division since it was one of only a handful of units equipped with a battalion of Tiger tanks. After Kursk, the unit fought on the Dniepr Line, and by early 1944 was fighting in the north, retreating into East Prussia and Latvia as the Russian onslaught continued to gather momentum.

In November 1944, the Grossdeutschland Division was still regarded as a Panzergrenadier division, although other units within its 'sphere of influence' were expanded to form the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland.

So I think it's fair to say that the crews would wear various types of camoflauge at this stage in the war like splinter pattern and obviously, white! You'd certainly need something a lot warmer than an 'M' type tunic in winter. In the summer either feld grau or various cammo types would probably be the norm.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Normal tunics would be the norm!

Hi Dave, conventional Heer M36 or M43 tunics would be the norm as already suggested. Late war M44's could be worn.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks guys, basic Heer uniform seems to be the way here but i've just dug up this?

Feldgrau.net research forum

This varied from unit to unit. Some units never received the Sturmartillerie uniforms and wore standard Field Service uniforms. In these units the SdKfz. 250/8 and/or SdKfz. 251/9 "Stummel" crews received preferential treatment with the issue of the field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms. German Heer SPW crews (SdKfz. 250 & 251) were issued both the black Panzer and field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms. The Panzergr-Regt. and Panzerfüsilier-Regt. of GD wore white piping on their Sturmartillerie uniforms.

What do you reckon?

I once owned a grouping of material that had belonged to a half track driver from Grossdeutchland. in his soldbuch picture he was wearig a gray wrapper.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.