Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

Article about: DRK is not my thing at all: but these are generic military buttons. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

DRK is not my thing at all: but these are generic military buttons.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I spoke with the gentleman I purchased this from and he said he purchased it at a military auction. He said the description of the item at the auction was that its a "black allgemeine ss leather coat", which confirms feedback I received from another reputable collector.

So my next question... since I have not been able to find one of these to compare to online (at least not a real one), what would you guys think the value is of this coat, considering the missing shoulder boards (but also considering there is evidence they were there at one time; small holes where the loops would have been)? I'm not looking to sell, since everything I buy goes into my personal collection. I'm just curious.

?

I dont believe that the coat is military but civilian although probably period from the form. Most if not all military coats did have the dagger slit and the dagger/sword hanger strapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	149753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-011S.JPG 
Views:	947 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	149754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG 
Views:	1457 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	149755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-012S.JPG 
Views:	1355 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	149756 etc.
    Attached is a picture on my Heer Officer leather overcoat although brown it reflects the dagger slit and dagger hanger belt etc.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Hi Horst. Very nice coat, thanks for posting it!

If you compare our two coats side-by-side, aside from yours having larger collars and being brown, the styles are almost 100% identical.

Mine does have the dagger holes inside the pocket flap (see photo below), but no hanger strap, unless the strap you see in the photos I originally posted IS the dagger hanger strap?

Speaking of the shoulder boards, I'm posting another photo (below) showing what I discovered the other day, and just didn't get around to posting here. There are two small holes where the shoulder board loops were likely attached, as well as a scuffed area of the leather (see the orange square in the photo, more obvious on personal inspection) where its likely the constant rubbing of the rigid end of the shoulder board wore down the leather over time. In addition, inside the coat there are still remains of thread where the loop and possibly the button were attached. These markings are mirrored exactly on the other shoulder.

With the above revelation (removed shoulder boards), dagger hanger holes, Assmann manufactured military style buttons, etc, I'm not sure I can agree that this is civilian and not military.

Thoughts??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoulder-board.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	149797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dagger-hanger-holes.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	149798  

I would tend to agree that your coat is military as you have now confirmed that it originally had shoulder straps.
    For info- although this coat had shoulder straps at one time, they were not always worn on leather coats,so you could use this item "as is" to compete a uniform if you wish.

Alternately, if you want to add buttons, I would suggest the "screw post" type to hold the shoulder straps in place together with a simple thread loop in lieu of a leather replacement as you may find this easier to achieve.

?

seems to be a nice find thx for sharing

Hi Darren, thanks for the extra pics: looks fine.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Darren -

Thanks for the additional info/pictures - Yes, it is a fine military leather coat - as to the dagger strap/clip it could have been removed as most of these coats were worn after the war .

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Since it seems the general consensus is that this coat is indeed wartime, and possibly even SS, what would you say is its estimated value (i.e. what would you pay if you were looking to purchase it as a collector)? I'm not looking to sell, just always like to know whether or not I'm ahead when I add an item to my collection. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any examples online similar enough to judge value.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12