Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

Article about: DRK is not my thing at all: but these are generic military buttons. Cheers, Ade.

?

Default German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone familiar with the styles, fabric, and overall identification of TR leather greatcoats.

I purchased this coat because, despite the absence of any markings, all of the elements that I know of TR era cloth are present; nothing at all glows under a black light (except the dust), the buttons are all marked as manufactured by Assmann, there is a dagger strap on the interior, the cloth fabric pattern and stitching on the interior of the sleeves appears to be correct when compared to a couple tunics I own (see photos below for comparison), the tan liner fabric on the interior is very similar to fabric used on the lining of a Waffenrock I own, the zig-zag stitching on the underside of the collar looks period, and the overall style is similar to period greatcoats I've seen online. I do note the absence of shoulder boards and straps, but have seen examples where no shoulder boards were present.

So, the question is... what do the experts think? If this is good, who may have worn it (e.g. Heer NCO, officer, other ranks, etc)?

Thanks for the help!
    Dzyner

German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

For comparison, here are examples of the inside sleeves from a couple tunics I own. Note the fabric patterns and stitching.

German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German Leather Greatcoat? Need opinions please...

nice coat!

?

Thanks colt45! So what do you think, is it TR period? What branch and rank would most likely have worn it?

?

mabye army or navy?

piw
    ?

Think this would prove to be almost impossible to verify 100% for sure as a military coat. Could well have been but probably private purchase.

?

piw, I would agree - most definitely private purchase (as many were), otherwise it would have printed markings somewhere on the lining as most all military issue cloth items do. Even that's not 100% certain, but of the uniforms, caps and other cloth items I've come across and seen, markings are obvious.

It would be great if someone would post their leather coat collection so we can compare elements of mine to theirs. Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

All leather greatcoats are private purchase.

Most likely worn by a Heer Officer.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade. Thanks for checking this out, always a pleasure to get your feedback

What are you feelings about it in general? Is it a wartime coat?

I would say wartime.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I had someone tell me that the fine texture of the buttons associate the coat with the DRK. Would you agree with that Ade (I know you mentioned Heer, but not sure if you had a close look at the buttons)? I wasn't aware there was a difference in button textures between branches (or in this case, military and non-military), but then again I'm not well versed on buttons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast