Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German leather leggings?

Article about: Hello Guys! I have no idea about these pieces. Could you help me to identify? Thank you!

?

Default German leather leggings?

Hello Guys!

I have no idea about these pieces. Could you help me to identify?

Thank you!
    German leather leggings?German leather leggings?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German leather leggings?
    P
    Many

?

No idea?

?

My old thread. Maybe now? Anybody? The stamp is ,,Sturm" and there are another stamps like 43 in a circle, 1174, 3111 276
    German leather leggings?

There are some on ebay right now, but unfortunately there is no information about them in the listing. eBay item number:113202839825. Many other armies used them, mostly in cavalry regiments I believe. The ones on ebay look just like American army ones to my eye!

?

Thank you! But "Strum" marking is suspicious on mine!

Maybe it's an abbreviation for sturmmann?

?

It looks maker logo to me instead. And there is some other text under it, but I can't read it.

Not sure, but would have thought they might relate to cavalry rather than the asphalt soldiers?

?

I think so, too.

From what I've read there are several possibilities:

- German police and military police are said to have frequently worn leather leggings. Apparently there are many photos taken between '33 and '38 showing them. So maybe the SA/Sturmabteilung also wore them, and that's why yours have Sturm on them? I don't think it's likely to have been the maker's name....it just seems improbable that a guy called Storm would own a business making gear for Stormtroopers.

- infantry regiments all had a reconnaissance unit which in the early years of the war used horses. Riding boots would not have been very practical for guys who often needed to dismount and walk around or take cover or whatever. Better to have low boots and leggings. But if the 43 on your leggings signifies 1943, the reconnaissance units had given up horses in favour of vehicles by then

- the Sturmabteiling Calsow, who are said to have worn body armour, were a stormtrooper detachment formed in 1915. Perhaps there were other sturmabteiling units in WW2 who continued this tradition? I haven't found any pictures of the Calsow detachment's body armour unfortunately

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast