Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German soldier winter setup

Article about: Was very lucky recently in finding a complete kit setup of a German winter soldier for sale. Everything is original with a range of dates from 1937 - 1944. The greatcoat has a range of field

Default German soldier winter setup

Was very lucky recently in finding a complete kit setup of a German winter soldier for sale. Everything is original with a range of dates from 1937 - 1944. The greatcoat has a range of field repairs applied and has definitely seen some use. I've been told it could possibly be an SS greatcoat, as on the left sleeve there are pulls where an eagle patch looks to have been applied. Also some slight discoloration in the shape of the eagle and swastika. The helmet is an original relic supposedly from Stalingrad - I plan to use this until I can find a good condition winter lid. The grouping also came with an issued shirt & pants and even an original issued bandage and fork/spoon.

If only these items could talk and tell their stories!

Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German soldier winter setup
    P
    Many

Looks good. Just need a rifle and bayonet.

I've got a deactivated K98 and bayonet - just didn't have them out for the photo! haha

Hello,
    That's a nice try but several things must be improved. The shadow of an eagle on the left arm is not enough to conclude that this Mantel is indeed a WSS example. There are two slanted pockets on the belly, which is a good sign, but the WSS Mantel does not have french cuffs, and here if we can see the lack of the latters on the photos, we can also see that both lower parts of the sleeves are formed of two pieces, which is not normal and may be a sign of removed french cuffs. What's the lining ?

The Gasmask shouldn't be carried in a M30 canister which at this time was given to the second line units of the Ersatzheer...

By the look of it, the strap that retains the messkit is not meant for that purpose. Due to its color, it could be a Kavallerie strap...

The toque is a tricky matter as most of those seen in collection today are postwar...

The Brotbeutel should be carried on the other side of the belt.

Empty ammo pouches do not look great, perhaps you could fill them up like it they were full of ammo

I hope one day you can find the nice helmet that you need
    I encourage you to persevere with your set up, you can improve it and add the missing equipment and tool like the Zeltbahn, the shovel etc...
    Good luck...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks for the reply - the lining isn't the rayon lining but is another type, looks like hessian material haha. The sleeves are lined in Rayon. Even though this setup isn't 100% accurate, it still looks great on display. I'll eventually track down the items I need - the shovel and carrier is next on my list. Do you know what is supposed to be carried on the middle back where the two D rings are on the Y straps?

Hello,
    Apparently your Mantel is rather a modified Wachtmantel lined with some kind of blanket, with french cuffs removed. Does the hood still under the collar or has it been removed also ?
    If you want to depict an Infanterist, you need an A-frame, this is what is retained on both D-rings of the Y-straps, or a Rucksack, it mostly depends of the branch of service.
    below is the complete A-frame for you to see
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Those D rings were primarily intended as an attachment point for a tornister. Some tornisters had built-in Y-straps. Others had simple hooks at the top and bottom for attachment to the rings. The bottom set attached to the smaller front straps on the Y-straps (the ones with rings instead of hooks), which would loop under the arms of the wearer.

EDIT: The resident expert beats me to the punch!

B.B.

?

Quote by AusA380 View Post
    Thanks for the reply - the lining isn't the rayon lining but is another type, looks like hessian material haha. The sleeves are lined in Rayon. Even though this setup isn't 100% accurate, it still looks great on display. I'll eventually track down the items I need - the shovel and carrier is next on my list. Do you know what is supposed to be carried on the middle back where the two D rings are on the Y straps?
    Too slow to type. Something like these random A frame images from the web....

It is worth noting that original A-frames are rather hard to come by, and can be expensive when they do turn up. There are also plenty of reproductions to be wary of, as with anything.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Those D rings were primarily intended as an attachment point for a tornister. Some tornisters had built-in Y-straps. Others had simple hooks at the top and bottom for attachment to the rings.

Hello,
    Sorry to say but this is not true, these D-rings were not primarily intented as an attachment point for the Tornister, they were primarily meant for the A-frame and were adopted at the same time under the same official text of 1939. The Tornister was modified at the same time to be retained on the Y-straps, it's not the Y-straps that evoluted in order to take the Tornister. Before the adoption of the Y-straps, there weren't two types of Tornister, only the one with carrying straps existed (M34). It's because Y-straps were adopted that the Tornister lost its carrying straps and had the same hooks than the A-frame fitted on.
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast