Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German sword knots

Article about: Evening all, I'm giving myself a bit of a challenge and trying to understand the Sword Knots used by the German Army. Looking through the Brian L. Davis book to try and gain some info, but i

HerrHenke
    ?

Default German sword knots

Evening all,

I'm giving myself a bit of a challenge and trying to understand the Sword Knots used by the German Army.

Looking through the Brian L. Davis book to try and gain some info, but it's a total minefield and harder to make sense of that GCSE Algebra

Does anyone know if the designs were specific to various ranks and does it follow that the colours used reflect the arm of service, the same as shoulder boards, ie, infantry would have a silver knot with white and so on?

Thanks, any pointers greatfully received!
    Neil.

2. # ADS

Default Re: German sword knots

Hi Neil, are you talking sword or bayonet knots here? I am not sure which you are actually talking about?

Sword knots are not multi coloured. Here is one from my collection. Our mutual friend "Golly" fell in love with it when he saw it

Bayonet knots are a complex subject. The book you have does have the info you seek. Keep re reading it. They are not waffenfarbe related.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword knots  

HerrHenke
    ?

Cheers Ade, there's my first mistake then!

More interested in the bayonet ones at the moment - and specifically for cavalry NCO's.

Not surprised Golly fell in love with that, he loves the glam stuff!

Hi Neil, OK that helps then

NCO's wore this universal pattern of knot, which we should more correctly call a Troddel.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword knots  

HerrHenke
    ?

Thanks again Ade, glad I asked for an opinion on that. For the branch of service and squadron I'm interested in, the book has it as a silver and red one. There is one specific to NCO's (as per the one you've shown) but as the colours are different this what was throwing me!

Much appreciated - see you at Nelson.