Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gliders Pilot Enamel Badge....numbered, of third category

Article about: Hi to all friends, I want to ask information on this pilot badge of glidersthat resembles a lot to those German. Some friends tell me Finn or Norwegian...you thing you can tell me? Thanks to

Default Gliders Pilot Enamel Badge....numbered, of third category

Hi to all friends, I want to ask information on this pilot badge of glidersthat resembles a lot to those German. Some friends tell me Finn or Norwegian...you thing you can tell me? Thanks to everybody!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gliders Pilot Enamel Badge....numbered, of third category
    P
    Many

Hello. I cannot specify to which country this badge is attributed to. But the enameled gull badge is appearently used by the FAI international glider commission which I believe is active internationally and existed since 1905 as per wiki. Hope this helps a little? Best regards.

Brian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_Gliding_Commission

These glider badges are international; the letter codes on the obverse are the same as used for aircraft registration prefixes and identify the country in which the badge was awarded. "YR" is for Romania.

(Only German badges were/are without additional letters on the obverse design, except for those from the former German Democratic Republic, which bore the letters "DDR".)

For more info on the various grades of the badge as currently awarded by the SSA, see:

Soaring Society of America

Thanks for the interventions, can I know how you do to identify this badge as Rumanian? the letters that there are written above points out Romania? Thanks

Quote by pugnale View Post
    Thanks for the interventions, can I know how you do to identify this badge as Rumanian? the letters that there are written above points out Romania? Thanks
    I told you: "YR" is the prefix code for Romania. For a full list of these prefix codes, see:

The Aviation Codes Web Site - ICAO Aircraft Registration Prefixes

Ok I thank you HPL2008, you have been very kind and exhaustive. Good thing the possession correctly identified this badge, if have need on the Italian militaria also ask!
    Talk to you soon