Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.

Article about: This came in the mail today, forgot I'd bought it Neat book with a vintage flavor, 1977 print date, they also printed it again in 1994. I liked this one being older. My personal reason is th

I would echo all these comments.

Brian's books can be considered Bibles on the subject, be it the Heer book or the Luftwaffe twin volume or the Brit volume.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.
    P
    Many

Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.Here is the original thing on this subject, ca. 1938
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-12-2015 at 07:29 PM.

A classic. I have the German edition Uniformen und Abzeichen des Deutschen Heeres 1933 - 1945 published by Motorbuch Verlag in 1973.

By asking nicely at a non descript New York 2nd hand book store 5 years ago I was led to the basement storeroom and permitted to browse freely. I came across this 1971 edition of 'Die Waffen SS' by Herbert Walther which contains many rare images theoretically untainted by re-enactor or movie stills.

On occasion I have time to peer with magnifying glass at the images, attempting to discern nuances little known to current 'textbook' theory. e.g. the below knackered Officer snatching a little snooze with lovely scull, eagle and unidentifiable pinky ring. Perhaps I am being naughty with sharing such an image without written permission from the now dead author?

I was about 13 years old when I first encountered Brian Davis' book, and I thought it was a sensation as it was the first book I'd seen that focused on the actual Equipment Items, and not the events themselves...In fact, I had no idea that the Wehrmacht used folding shovels until I saw the one posted in that book...and after selling mine for a ridiculous $10 because I thought it was Bundeswehr, lol...I would still recommend the book for Wehrmacht Collectors today...Brian Davis passed away just a few months ago, btw....
    cheers, Glenn

Thx for all the comments, all very informative.

JPhilip

The "Malgré-nous". Little known facet of WWII history, I encourage anyone not familiar to read through the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malgr%C3%A9-nous

It's enough to warrant a moment of silence...

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    By asking nicely at a non descript New York 2nd hand book store 5 years ago I was led to the basement storeroom and permitted to browse freely. I came across this 1971 edition of 'Die Waffen SS' by Herbert Walther which contains many rare images theoretically untainted by re-enactor or movie stills.

On occasion I have time to peer with magnifying glass at the images, attempting to discern nuances little known to current 'textbook' theory. e.g. the below knackered Officer snatching a little snooze with lovely scull, eagle and unidentifiable pinky ring. Perhaps I am being naughty with sharing such an image without written permission from the now dead author?

I bought this book in 1971 or 1972. Today the French firm of Heimdal has taken the principle in this work and carried it to a degree unimaginable in 1971.

There are so many nice pictorial works, of high quality. I share the horror at recycled pictures of present day people in uniforms. While I cannot withhold from

others the living history thing, which I did also when much, much younger, the idea that contemporary photos be used as historical ones is grotesque and false.

The thing is not without precedent, of course, as it happened in an earlier time.

The question arose about purists, and in this respect I am a real purist.

Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.The great grand daddy of such books is the work Damals, on the Totenkopf in the French campaign.

I own a very good copy. It has been reprinted many times.

whoops.

Great basic older book on uniforms, on the cheap, with added benefit.This was the 1st FRG book on the Waffen SS in the late 1950s. It sort of a recycle of the wartime works. The 1971 book is a continuation of this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast