Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Greatcoat from POW?

Article about: Hello all, I'm after a little help identifying a coat I just picked up from my father (got in an opshop to stay warm for a dollar but on closer inspection...) Ive looked online and as far as

Default Greatcoat from POW?

Hello all,

I'm after a little help identifying a coat I just picked up from my father (got in an opshop to stay warm for a dollar but on closer inspection...)

Ive looked online and as far as I can tell it's a heer m40 great coat.

I'm not terribly learned in this sort of thing so I'm trying to find a way to determine if it's real or a replica.

Can't post any photos just yet (but if neccessary I will in a couple days) so i'll explain it as best as I can.
    EDIT: Photos posted in new thread:
    [https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...nticity-78576/

It's a grey wool, double breasted coat, but the button on the left have been torn off.
    It has two pockets on the outside, and one(?) on the inside.
    It doesnt have any of those shoulder strap things, but there is a buttony lookin thingo for them.

The buttons on the front are dimpled buttons, they look silver that has been tarnished over time, On the back of the buttons is an enscryption of an eagle (very basic) and the letters
    (F)
    (L) (L)

aswell as some numbers.

I can't find any insignias or anything labels or anything other than a size tag that says 33, though this looks newish and possibly sewn on by the op shop or a previous dealer or something. just doesnt look like its supposed to be there is all.

Whats throwing me the most, is that on the inside of the coat, is 2 long cut/tear marks near the rear seam, which I would think was something that would be done to prisoners of war, when being searched for documents and such.

I'd really like some feedback on this and will get some photos when i can.

If theres anything im missing please say so and ill update.

Im curious to know what people would look for to tell a fake from an original,
    is there any markings that SHOULD appear? (i believe the grey winter greatcoats were used when battling the russians and they were sort of pressed for time on production so not sure if certain emblems or embroideries were left off?)

Thank you all in advance, Im hoping someone can help me with this,
    I plan to take this to the local RSL as a donation but would like to verify its authenticity first.

regards
    Damon
    Last edited by DamonRudd; 07-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greatcoat from POW?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Greatcoat from POW?

What makes you think that it belonged to a POW?By the description it should be a WW2 German greatcoat but in this case the "This thread is worthless without pictures" smiley applies!

I thought it might be a POW coat because of the tears on the inside, suggests someone was giving a search, suppose that doesnt have to be POW but yeah.
    either way, im mostly concerned about the authenticity of it, I will get pictures soon and post.

?

Why oh Why do people donate these things to charities, it mystifies me, yes it gives other people a chance to get something for next to nothing but these shops have jumped on the band wagon , now they have someone who either will buy before they are displayed, or use the internet to put the prices well up yet they dont realise its dealer prices they are asking for and 9 times out of 10 the condition of the item isnt taken into consideration, try telling them that it isnt worth the money and they say its what the internet says its worth, it riles me no end, yet with a bit of research from the donater he stands to make a reasonable profit for himself

Not that sort of donation,
    Just lend for display, the RSL (not sure if its the same worldwide but in australia) is the returned service league.

I dont want to part with this if its authentic, when im a little wealthier i would like to start my own collection of both german and allied artifacts, i have a lot to learn though.

But no, i will not be flat out GIVING it to them, just donating for their display for awhile (if theyll have it)

Quote by DamonRudd View Post
    Not that sort of donation,
    Just lend for display, the RSL (not sure if its the same worldwide but in australia) is the returned service league.

I dont want to part with this if its authentic, when im a little wealthier i would like to start my own collection of both german and allied artifacts, i have a lot to learn though.

But no, i will not be flat out GIVING it to them, just donating for their display for awhile (if theyll have it)
    Damon,
    yours is a nice gesture but in many cases the items donated for display magically disappear,and I don't want to sound desrespectful towards the Austrailian RSL the least!If I were you I'd keep this coat (that by the descrption must be genuine) in my closet.The rip and tears inside would in fact suggest that this coat could have been worn by a POW but rather than being made by the captors searching the soldier they could have been made by the soldier himself to hide his belongings,such as a little money,pictures of his family,letters and something else.In fact I've got a DAK POW (a faint trace of "POW" stencilled with yellow paint still remain on the back) whose sleeve's lining has been carefully unstitched to hide something, while two safety pins,very useful and prized items amongst POWs,were skillfully hidden along the lower hem.
    Hope to see pictures of your coat soon!
    Cheers
    Manny