Article about: nice original pin,,,i opt for Heer Generals hat eagle

Default Re: Heer eagle?

anymore thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer eagle?
    P
    Many

I finally found the courage to gently remove the backing cloth. Looks like an assman eagle! Mystery solved!

Attachment 256536Attachment 256535

Very nice and no doubts about it. It is still a bit of a mystery, as usually hollow backs show the negative image, so what it was for is still open, lovely bird though.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Anton, thanks for the update. Always tricky to do something like this. Glad it turned out OK for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Farradin

Very late to respond I'm afraid but I'm a new member the weather isnt too nice and I was just looking at old threads for interesting stuff

I just love birds and white summer uniform eagles are particularly nice. There are many variations & I have a few matched sets but not this variation/set-up which I beleive is correct with the backing cloth. The majority of such eagles are pin back (most of the KM/Heeres type also have a bottom clip to prevent eagle from moving) and attached to the white unform through thread loops to allow removal for cleaning the uniform. However I have also seen this type eagle (always gold specimens) attached to pieces of "cut to shape" navy blue cloth with 3 prongs like yours on a couple of occasions and they originally came that way for a different application. These were sewn directly on the unform, with the backing. I dont recall the exact application details but from what I recall while the army and the luftwaffe used these birds exclusively on white summer uniforms the (removable pinback type) the navy used these in a broader scope of application including one where it was sewn to the uniform so if I were you I wouldnt discard the cloth backing and actually leave it on there because these are far less common than the pinback type.

Regards

JC
    Last edited by MickeyM; 11-20-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: duplicaiton of signature

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3