Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??

Article about: Hi all, I just purchased another great looking tunic from a private collector. I have no doubts that, like the others I've posted here, this tunic is the real deal. I'm just very curious to

?

Default Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??

Hi all,

I just purchased another great looking tunic from a private collector. I have no doubts that, like the others I've posted here, this tunic is the real deal. I'm just very curious to hear everyone's opinions on the overall condition, and information you can provide about the accessories (e.g. ribbons, ribbon bar, Kuban shield, etc); is this an NCO or an Officer's tunic; what was his rank, etc.

Also posted photos of the visor cap which goes with the tunic (from the same soldier). Please let me know what you think about it as well.

The belt was a separate accessory I purchased from the same collector. Not sure whether or not it really goes with this tunic. I've been told yes by one person and no by another. Seems a little dressy for this tunic, but please let me know your thoughts. It's in absolutely MINT condition, even came with the original round hat-style box, and still has the size marker on the underside of the belt!

The iron cross (not authentic) and wound badge were added by me.

As always, thank you for your help!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??   Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??  

Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??   Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??

Hi Dzyner, you are a brave man buying a tunic you know little about But it has paid off. A very nice original Heer Officers service dress tunic. All insignia looks original and untouched.

The rank is for an Infanterie Hauptmann (Captain) of the reserve. Note the shoulder boards with the two gilt pips of his rank and the white waffenfarbe of the Infanterie with the secondary grey underlay colour which shows his reserve status.

Clearly he was a Veteran of the First World War, having been awarded the 1939 bar to the EKII in WW2. You would need to add a 1914 EK I and a first class 1939 bar, as looking at the tunic award loops that is what it appears to show. The ribbon bar lacks the 1939 bar from the EKII ribbon.

The cap looks bearly worn. But I see no problems with it.

The silver brocade belt was rarely worn with this uniform.

Cheers, Ade.

?

As always Ade, thanks for the feedback

Its really kind of funny how I collect. I don't usually seek out specific items, I take them as they come (from local sellers only - so I can physically inspect) and do the hard-core research once the item is in my possession. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character when it comes to trust. Make no mistake about it though, on high dollar purchases such as the tunics, I at least request photos (good photos) in order to do some basic price comparison research, and understand the basics on how to identify a fake so I don't get burned. Thus far, this has worked very well for me (knock on wood).

In the case of these tunics (5 so far), the gentleman's father only collected top quality examples, and knew every detail about what he collected. Best of all, I'm blessed to be dealing with someone who is so understanding of my budget, and kind enough to work with me. He knows I'm serious about collecting and (I think) appreciates that these are going to a good home. Its a lot on money to invest, but it makes the experience SO much better when dealing with such a good person!

The belt should go nicely with my Parade Tunic https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...t-tunic-15611/ don't you think? I almost hesitate to leave it out of the box since it's in such untouched condition, but then I almost have to display it for the very same reason

The only thing I'm a little bummed about is the missing chin strap on the cap. I was told (as best I can recall) that the officer removed it because he wanted the look of a WWI cap, or something like that. I believe it had something to do with making the dark green rim (not sure what the technical name is for the rim) appear thicker as with a certain style WWI cap. I could easily get a replacement, but will probably just leave it as-is.

I assume you had a look at the Kuban Shield and have no issues with it?

Thanks again Ade!
    Dzyner

Hi, the Kuban is good.

The belt would not go with the other tunic, as the belt is an Officers model.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello,
    This Offizier Feldbuse is very nice...and the set looks promising
    How lucky you are to get such a tunic....it could have been a modified Bundeswehr tunic...IMO it's better to learn a bit before starting to purchase pricey items...especially in TR collecting...
    Nice score anyway and good luck for the next purchases...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks for clarifying Ade, regarding the belt. I guess until I get an officers dress tunic I'll just put the belt away for safe keeping. I may post some separate photos of it and the original box it was issued in. Looks like it was just assembled. I think you'd like the belt.

JPhilip, have you had a look at the other tunics I've posted? If not, I'd love your opinion on those. Regarding learning more before buying, I couldn't agree more. I really need to get a hold of some good reference books. I should mention too that my older brother has been collecting since he was a kid, and helps guide me. I also have a great deal of trust in the gentleman I'm purchasing these from since he's already sold me 5 solid tunics. If you have any recommendations on some good websites, or books, please let me know. I'm always looking to learn more...which is why I frequent this forum

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Hello there,

You have some issues with your display here. He would not wear a parade belt on a "service" tunic.

This is a field tunic, so we have matte painted buttons vs. aluminum buttons like on a dress tunic. I actually have a matte Officer belt & buckle set that would match perfectly.

Looking at the award loops on the breast pocket (and knowing he received the EK_2 in WW1) would suggest he holds the Spange to the EK_1 - and if that is true he wouldn't wear a WW2 (1939) EK_1 like you have here, he would have worn his WW1 (1914) cross.

Considering he served on the Eastern Front would suggest he would qualify for an Infantry Assault badge in silver to be worn to the left of the EK.

Here are some items I have within my collection that would be correct for your display and within the realm of proper regulation of the period; trying to give you a visual reference.

Here on your website:

Heer Officers Service Dress Tunic & Visor

You have an Enlisted rank belt & buckle which is incorrect for an Officer and a Hitler Youth pin where the EK Spange should be (certainly a Veteran of the First War wouldn't be HJ)

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??   Heer NCO or Officer's Tunic??  

?

Hi William. Thanks for the information. I actually have a silver IAB (Silver Infantry Assault Badge by BSW). Never thought about replacing the wound badge with it, but now that you mention it I may do just that. The other items in your post I honestly already knew, just don't have the specific accessories to replace what you see in the photos on my site. When I posted the original photos to this thread in 2010 I was a bit of a newbie so I didn't know any better. It's amazing how much you learn as you grow as a collector. You'll see some inconsistencies with a few of my displays still; it all comes down to what I have on hand. Over time I try and fill the blanks with correct pieces. I'd love to get me a nice Spange, but everyone wants an arm and a leg for those. The belt should be simple enough to acquire, I just need to do it. Thanks again for your feedback!

Is there evidence that the cap ever even had chinstrap buttons on it?

William Kramer

?

Hi William. Yes, there are holes where the buttons once were, but no discoloration or wear to the embroidered wreath suggesting perhaps (in my opinion) that it was removed early on. That's purely speculation though.