Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia

Article about: Hello, I was very fortunate to recently acquire a M42 Feldbluse. It has cotton yarn loops attached to the left breast pocket for awards etc, but I'm especially interested in the pair of loop

Default Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia

Hello,

I was very fortunate to recently acquire a M42 Feldbluse. It has cotton yarn loops attached to the left breast pocket for awards etc, but I'm especially interested in the pair of loops located horizontally above the pocket, which are 4.6cm apart. Could they possibly be intended for the Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange)? I've never seen this badge in the flesh, so I'm not aware of the reverse-side pin dimensions. The fledbluse has vestiges of yarn adjacent to the second from the top button loop on the reverse side, signifying a ribbon was attached to the button hole.

I realise that they could be post-war additions added to enhance the tunic, however, the yarn appears to be correct feldgrau of 50g-type, and certainly looks aged.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions,

Andrew
    Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia
    P
    Many

The Nahkampfspange was indeed worn above the breast pocket, so that's certainly what those loops are for. As to whether they are wartime or postwar, I cannot say. I'd guess wartime, as I can't imagine a soldat tearing holes in his tunic in order to wear the clasp.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The Nahkampfspange was indeed worn above the breast pocket, so that's certainly what those loops are for.
    Sorry, but no: That is by no means certain. A ribbon bar is just as likely, if not likelier.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    As to whether they are wartime or postwar, I cannot say. I'd guess wartime, as I can't imagine a soldat tearing holes in his tunic in order to wear the clasp.
    Thread loops sewn to the uniform were indeed the proper attachment method for pinback awards as well as ribbon- and medal bars. They weren't supposed to be pinned through the cloth.

Somehow, I'd completely forgotten about ribbon bars. Lesson learned; don't go off half-cocked before I've had my morning cup of tea!

B.B.

Could be for medal ribbons (feldspange) as it looks a little low to be for Close Combat Clasp (Nahkampfspange)?

Help ID the medal ribbon

- - ------- - -

Beaten to it by HPL !!!!
    "Per Ardua"

Thank you for your replies.

Paul, are you sure that the loops are necessarily too close to the top of the pocket in order for them to be intended for the Close Combat Clasp, as a quick Google search shows several period images of soldiers wearing the Clasp resting on the top of the pocket flap.

I stress that I'm no expert in this field, but can't help but wonder if the 4.6cm measurement of the loops holds the key - the three sets of loops on the upper left pocket (shown in the image) accommodate perfectly an Iron Cross First Class and Wound badge (centrally-located sets) and and Infantry Assault Badge (at the left).

HPL, I appreciate the scarcity of the Nahkampfspange, but would a ribbon bar of that length be any more likely for a low-ranking soldier? The feldbluse shows the rank of Gefreiter, and there is no evidence on the collar of any higher rank. Attached is an image of the reverse-side of the second button hole showing the remains of yarn that likely held a ribbon (Iron Cross or Eastern Front medal???).

The Feldbluse really is a textbook piece, and I'm very lucky to own it. No evidence of any alterations (except for the addition of an earlier Breast Eagle on blue-green backing); an earlier, better-grade wool is used for the underside of the lower bellows pockets. It has some field repairs at one elbow, and it really seems to be a combat service tunic as opposed to a walking-out version.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions,

AndrewHelp Identifying Missing Feldbluse InsigniaHelp Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia

Whatever you put there won't be wrong, its just that its probably more likely that it was a ribbon bar, in my opinion.

There's photo evidence for both probabilities:
    Attached Images Attached Images Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia  Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia  Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia  Help Identifying Missing Feldbluse Insignia 
    "Per Ardua"