Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army

Article about: The attached pictures are of my wife's father. He enlisted in 1917 or 1918 as a cadet. On previous post I have learned that in the 20's the only available postings were as an enlisted man. I

Default help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army

The attached pictures are of mhelp needed to identify rank pre nazi German armyhelp needed to identify rank pre nazi German armyy wife's father. He enlisted in 1917 or 1918 as a cadet. On previous post I have learned that in the 20's the only available postings were as an enlisted man. In the late 1930s he became an officer and was killed on the Russian front in 1942.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army
    P
    Many

Default Re: help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army

He is seen here as an SNCO of the Reichswehr.

Rank - as shown on the shoulder boards - is Feldwebel; his NCO status is also displayed be the collar braid [Tresse].

Branch color [Waffenfarbe] as shown in the central stripes on the collar patches and the shoulder board piping appears quite dark; it could be black for Engineers [Pioniere].

Below his left breast pocket is the German Riding Badge [Deutsches Reitabzeichen]; the stripes on his left lower sleeve are shooting badges [Schießauszeichnungen].

From the uniform, badges and insignia, I would date the photograph to the 1930 - 1934 period.

A very nice portrait, by the way.

Default Re: help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army

Just for reference I show a rank chart for the "Friedensheer", the forerunner of the Reichswehr in 1919...he may well of worn some of this insignia......1) Private. 2) Private first class.3) Unteroffizier. 4) Sergeant. 5) Vizefeldwebel. 6) Feldwebel. 7) Unteroffizier after 4/2/1919. 8) Leutnant. 9) Oberleutnant. 10) Hauptmann. 11) Major. 12) Oberstleutnant. 13) Oberst. 14) Brigadegeneral 15) Generalmajor. 16) Generalleutnant. 17) General der Infantrie/Artillerie etc....
    Prost !Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help needed to identify rank pre nazi German army