Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?

Article about: This belongs to a friend of mine and he asked me to find out whether it is authentic or not. I have my doubts, but because these are as scarce as hen's teeth, I've never had one in hand and

Default Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?

This belongs to a friend of mine and he asked me to find out whether it is authentic or not. I have my doubts, but because these are as scarce as hen's teeth, I've never had one in hand and cannot say for sure. The badge is stuck to a card along with a photo. I am therefore unable to see the rear of badge.
    I have not translated the writing, so would appreciate any and all help you can provide, thank you.
    Please excuse the quality of photos.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?   Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?  

Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?
    P
    Many

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?

Definately need better pics mate, but from what I see It could be promising... See If you can get a clearer pic for us please.

Luke.

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I have not translated the writing, so would appreciate any and all help you can provide, thank you.
    The text translates as:

"Major
    Ludwig Störner
    [sp?]
    1./Gren.Reg. 422
    Holder
    Sniper's Badge
    3rd Level
    24 November 43
    "

Two observations: The Scharfschützenabzeichen was only instituted by a Führer decree of 20 August 1944; confirmed kills counting only if made after 1 Sept. 1944. Thus, it could not have been awarded to anybody in November 1943.
    Furthermore, as far as I know, there were no officer-ranked German snipers whatsoever.

Bob Hritz owns an original. Not 100% sure if he has shared it with us here? But I have seen it in the past.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The text translates as:

"Major
    Ludwig Störner
    [sp?]
    1./Gren.Reg. 422
    Holder
    Sniper's Badge
    3rd Level
    24 November 43
    "

Two observations: The Scharfschützenabzeichen was only instituted by a Führer decree of 20 August 1944; confirmed kills counting only if made after 1 Sept. 1944. Thus, it could not have been awarded to anybody in November 1943.
    Furthermore, as far as I know, there were no officer-ranked German snipers whatsoever.
    Thank you for the info, I remember reading it was instituted in 1944. Won't bother with further photos. If the dedication is fake then it stands to reason the badge would be as well.
    Tom

AIF
    ?

I just had a look at Bobs on WAF and yeah I think this one is bad, similar but bad

The white stitching that highlights the feathers on the neck and breast of the bird should always be of chain stitch. Most (but not all) fakes do not have this, just a usual line stitch.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

kc1
    ?

One on Hermann Historica sale currently
    Attached Images Attached Images Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real?  Help please - Sniper's Badge - Fake/Real? 

That is some crazy handwriting on that card.........
    Regards,

Steve.