Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

How to take care of our WW2 war relics?

Article about: Hello; I've been collecting for a year or so. I'm young at this game. But, How do you guys store your WW2 or any other uniforms? Thanks!!

Default How to take care of our WW2 war relics?

Hello;

I've been collecting for a year or so. I'm young at this game.
    But,
    How do you guys store your WW2 or any other uniforms?

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to take care of our WW2 war relics?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to take care of our WW2 war relics?

I use breathable storage bags, the type commonly used to transport and store business suits and other clothing. There are numerous types on the market. I like the kind that can hold several uniforms, has a clear vinyl front and sides and a breathable back panel. Sorry, no pics with me at the moment, but will try to post one later.

As a moth repellant I use lavender. It doesn’t stink like moth balls do, and lavender is supposedly very effective at repelling moths. I know of and have also read that uniform collectors swear by this method. My wife came up with the brilliant idea of putting the lavender buds in small sachets. I have several of these sachets in the closet, and also tucked inside the uniforms on display. Thus far, no moth problems to speak of.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you!
    I've got a tunic coming and I'm not sure what to store it in. I have to long term store it, and wasn't sure if a suit bag thats breathable would work.

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I use breathable storage bags, the type commonly used to transport and store business suits and other clothing. There are numerous types on the market. I like the kind that can hold several uniforms, has a clear vinyl front and sides and a breathable back panel. Sorry, no pics with me at the moment, but will try to post one later.

As a moth repellant I use lavender. It doesn’t stink like moth balls do, and lavender is supposedly very effective at repelling moths. I know of and have also read that uniform collectors swear by this method. My wife came up with the brilliant idea of putting the lavender buds in small sachets. I have several of these sachets in the closet, and also tucked inside the uniforms on display. Thus far, no moth problems to speak of.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Cody,

What were you able to find?

I store my uniforms much like Tony does, however instead of lavendar I use cedar shavings. I make a small bag from nylon, much like panyhose, and fill that bag with the shavings. Each garment bag gets at least one cedar bag tossed in. The garment bags are stored in a number of lockers I have in my walkout basement.
    Last edited by gbalke; 10-12-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Here you go. I use these 'garment bags' (the correct name, thanks Gary) to hold three uniforms per each. I suspend the lavender sachet as shown, at the only entry point these bags have that could allow those nasty critters to get inside. The rear panel is designed to allow the bag to breathe.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to take care of our WW2 war relics?   How to take care of our WW2 war relics?  

How to take care of our WW2 war relics?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks Guys!

I have a M36 EM Tunic and a few E. German complete uniforms, along with a couple of US Unforms. But I've just had them hanging in a suit bags for the time being. The bags are not breathable so I leave them unzipped and clean. I'm going to go buy some of these Garment bags and do what you guys said to do.

In some of my research, some people say to dry clean your uniforms... Do I trust a drycleaner with my M36? I didn't think so...

What do you guys think?

The first thing to determine if the uniform actually needs cleaning. I prefer to leave everything as is. Light soiling in the cuffs or collar from wear are not objectionable. While I’ve read conflicting opinions on dry cleaning, my limited experience has been good. Of the several dozen uniforms I’ve owned only two have needed cleaning, and the results were fine. Be sure to find a drycleaner that is receptive to taking your instructions about how to treat a garment with some historic importance. Judging by their response you’ll be able to decide on whether to leave it there or move on.

Regards,
    Tony

Thats what I was thinking.
    Thanks a bunch for the responce!