Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identify Shoulder Board please.

Article about: Excellent responses, thank you.

Default Identify Shoulder Board please.

Hi everyone, I have these army officers boards and am having some trouble identifying them, as the colours could be one of several different waffenfarbe. So are they medical? transport? or something else? The most similar I can find are on the Collectors Guild as 'Administrative Officials Shoulder boards' The Collector's Guild but the blue looks darker.

It strikes me that the metal device on my boards (and those on the collectors guild) is the snake and rod of Asclepius, a classical medical symbol. If so, why are they also on an administrative officials board? Please help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify Shoulder Board please.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identify Shoulder Board please.
    P
    Many

With the snake and rod it should be medical, the waffenfarbe should be cornflower blue. Maybe this has discoloured due to age, is it a brighter blue under the braid?..

Transport or better Truppensonderdienst.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I would have speculated Medical Administration...?? They're quite nice!
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks very much, but clearly the confusion remains. Presumably I should be going with Adrian's response for transport, but why does it have a medical device on it?

The insignia represents the Mecurian Staff. Not Medical.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Adrian, you have solved the puzzle for me (again). Clearly this winged rod and serpent is associated with Hermes who has links to both traveling and medicine. I am very grateful for your help.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The insignia represents the Mecurian Staff. Not Medical.

Cheers, Ade.
    Wow, i always thought it was a medical symbol. What do i keep saying about learning something new?..

It's not an Aesculapius rod or Äskulapstab [= staff with one snake], but a Caduceus or Merkurstab [= winged staff with two snakes]. They are commonly confused, which is aggravated by the fact that the Caduceus is used by the U.S. Army's medical branch.

The Caduceus is not used as a medical symbol on German uniforms and insignia, where it always represents administration and related aspects.

As Ade said, the shoulder board is for the Truppensonderdienst established in 1944; speficially its administrative [Verwaltung] component.

(The TSD had two occupational specialty groups, one was the Laufbahn des Verwaltungsdienstes im TSD [Occupational Career of the Administrative Service in the TSD] as identified by light blue ["dragoon blue"] branch color and the "Caduceus" shoulder board device; the other one was the Laufbahn der Wehrmachtrichter im TSD [Occupational Career of the Military Judges in the TSD as identified by wine red branch color and a "sword" shoulder board device. A technical service occupational career group was projected, but not implemented.)

Edit: As always. Beaten by the fastest keyboard in South Derbyshire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast