Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944

Article about: Hi all. I'm trying to get some information on these three patches/insgnia. Quick background - these have providence, as they were in the possession of a Canadian soldier who fought in Norman

amadore
    ?

Default Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944

Hi all. I'm trying to get some information on these three patches/insgnia.

Quick background - these have providence, as they were in the possession of a Canadian soldier who fought in Normandy and passed on to a friend (my aunt) after he passed away a few years ago. Apparently there were many more items in his possession, such as medals and such, but my aunt gave them to a collector who apparently did not want these.

So what I'd like to find out is what part of the uniforms these came from, as well as any guesses as to how this man came to be in possession of them (ie. cut from discarded uniforms, traded with POWs, etc.)

The Luftwaffe patch is sewn on to a very light-weight material, and the back, as you can see, has remnants of what looks to be a pocket.

The other two, with my limited knowledge are Kriegsmarine, correct? I assume the darker patch came from the breast of a coat, but the green one, I have no idea.

Any help would be great. My aunt was great friends with this man until he passed (he had no family in his later years) and she discovered these hidden away when she cleaned out his house.

Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944Identifying insignia - Normandy 1944

2. # ADS

The first eagle is from Kriegsmarine. It was cut off of a roll with many like it. It is unused because it was never applied on a uniform!
    The second is a Kriegsmarine eagle too. It was mounted on a uniform and someone removed it.
    Now for the third one i'm trying to find out what part of a uniform is the material that the Luftwaffe eagle is on.
    This isn't a part of a uniform as these were placed right over the right pocket and the lower part of the swastika was on top of the pocket's flap... I don't know what the thread behind the left wind is from...

All three of them are breast eagles.

These are common souvenirs brought back after the war by veterans...
    Some scenarios:
    took them from POW's after they were ordered to remove their insignias,
    GI trade,
    the roll could be from a factory's store house,
    took them from a dead soldier etc etc
    These could have ended to him with countless ways!!

The Luftwaffe Adler has to be from a Feldbluse. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    The Luftwaffe Adler has to be from a Feldbluse. NH
    Hello,
    rather from a Fliegerbluse...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

amadore
    ?

Thanks a lot, guys!

I've found some pictures of two of the uniforms with the insignia on it, but haven't seen a good example of the green one on a uniform. Would love to see a picture somewhere if somebody has one, or a link to one.

Follow up question - I'm keeping these, primarily for historical interest, as well as the interesting providence that they come with. However, I would like to inquire as to the relative value of them - not to sell, honestly, but because I currently just keep them loose in a dresser drawer. I don't imagine the value of any of them would be more than $50 each, if that, but I genuinely have no idea, especially with the "unused" one. Should they be stored with a little bit more care?

all good.