Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.

Article about: Hi Hope this is not out of place in this forum (if so please accept my apologies) as this item sits squarely in the middle period of 1918- 1933. This tunic is a reichswehr 1928 pattern army

Default Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.

Hi

Hope this is not out of place in this forum (if so please accept my apologies) as this item sits squarely in the middle period of 1918- 1933.

This tunic is a reichswehr 1928 pattern army wool tunic. A recent acquisition of mine and it gives some great pointers to its history via helpful stampings on the inside.

Originally it was accepted at the "M" stores (i think M is for Munich) in 1928 and was issued to JR 15 3rd battalion , 13 Kompanie. It was used as the first set or sunday best as shown by the I. At some point it was downgraded to every day wear by the stamping of a II.

i BELIEVE THE j-s AND l-k stramps are manufacturing marks but any info on this would be appreciated.

The tunic is also quite a large size for its time compared to other ones i have come across.

The tunic has interestingly been re-issued to I/JR 5 and stamped A. This
    is unusual because the two regiments were in different divisions and different areas so how it came to be so remains a mystery.

The new owner was a leutnant and the insignia match the stamps. Also the arms of the tunic have been lengthened by a tailor so the officer was quite a lot taller than the previous owner.

Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.
    cheers

tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.

Hi Tony, a very nice addition to your collection.

Sorry I cannot help with your questions, but I enjoyed seeing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Tony, stunning inter-war tunic, I like it ! the Reichswehr unlike the former Imperial army, was one, and not several State controlled contingents as previous ....therefore I would imagine transfer between areas and Divisions would be quite feasible (as in the Wehrmacht and Bundeswehr)...I wonder, was the original owner of this tunic Bavarian ? the shoulder straps look to be flecked in blue (albeit worn out/faded) and of an Imperial pattern.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi guys

thanks for the input. Steve I like the idea of the Bavarian connection with the schulterklappen and they are dated in pen on the underside as 1920 so maybe they are Imperial re-use.

cheers

tony

Closer shots of shoulder boards...don't think they are they imperial as they have white piping but not 100% sure ? They may be 1920 pattern reichswehr.

Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.Infantry Regiment 5 : Reichswehr era tunic.

here is the tunic on display at last with the officers field cap (model 1919 field cap)

cheers

tony

Beautiful tunic Tony.
    You sure find amazing stuff.
    Cheers.
    Nuno