Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Insignas, real or fake?

Article about: Greetings, Are these insignas real or fake? I think the black one is a kriegsmarine cap insigna while the green one is a heer insigna.

?

Default Insignas, real or fake?

Greetings,

Are these insignas real or fake?

Insignas, real or fake?Insignas, real or fake?

I think the black one is a kriegsmarine cap insigna while the green one is a heer insigna.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Insignas, real or fake?
    P
    Many

These pictures are dreadful. We need straight on, front and back images to make a proper assessment. I would expect a Kriegsmarine eagle to be in gold thread, so I think they are both army issue. How big is the cap eagle? The level of detail on it makes me wonder if it a full sized breast eagle (for a panzer officer if the backing cloth is black) rather than a smaller cap eagle. If the backing cloth is green then its a regular army officers eagle.

Edit; you say it is black so its a Panzer officers eagle.

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    These pictures are dreadful. We need straight on, front and back images to make a proper assessment. I would expect a Kriegsmarine eagle to be in gold thread, so I think they are both army issue. How big is the cap eagle? The level of detail on it makes me wonder if it a full sized breast eagle (for a panzer officer if the backing cloth is black) rather than a smaller cap eagle. If the backing cloth is green then its a regular army officers eagle.

Edit; you say it is black so its a Panzer officers eagle.
    Hmm, i can't i find my measuring tape but i would guess that the big one is about 14 cm while the smaller one is about 10.

The backing cloth of the larger one seems to be dark green instead of black(even though the photo doesent show the correct color)..sorry by mistake.

Insignas, real or fake?Insignas, real or fake?Insignas, real or fake?Insignas, real or fake?Insignas, real or fake?

Hello, I was hoping we would get some comments from eagle experts (which I am not) on these for you, but not as yet. Hopefully more comments will come. The first thing I will do is put the images the right way up, as this might encourage others to comment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Insignas, real or fake?   Insignas, real or fake?  

Insignas, real or fake?   Insignas, real or fake?  

Secondly I will try to help you with my own inexpert opinions. I am concerned that both might be fakes. I dont recognise the smaller eagle with the light green backing, I supose it must be an officers cap eagle, but it looks suspiciously fake to me, especially as the swastika is off centre (though the swastika on my cap eagle below is misshapen). The larger eagle is certainly an army officers breast eagle and could be genuine, but again I have reservations, especially about the backing material. Here are some eagles from my collection for comparison. Here you can see two breast eagles and a cap eagle. There is of course quiet a lot of variation as they were hand made. Your officers breast eagle does appear to be broadly correct in its construction however, so I think it stands a chance of being OK, but we need opinions from others on this one. As you can see, the cap eagle is very different from the one you have shown. Breast eagles should measure about 10 cm accross, cap eagles about 7 cm but there is some variation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Insignas, real or fake?   Insignas, real or fake?  

Insignas, real or fake?  

?

Thanks' you've been wery helpful

regards.